How do I code pronoun options

It’s been a few months since I worked on my story so I honestly forget literally everything with coding but how to I code letting the readers choose their pronouns? I’m thinking it’ll work in the same way letting them choose any other permanent option would. I mostly am confused about the coding within the future dialogue that uses pronouns. So for example, let’s say I give the readers options of she, they, and he and they pick “he.” How would I make sure future dialogue uses He?

I don’t care if I have to code every single piece of dialogue that uses MC’s pronouns to say something like “if this then use these pronouns” but I just need to know what to do.

1 Like

You have to use if elif and else.
Try using this website to help it’s @Dara.Amarie
https://www.dara-amarie.com/remember-choice

1 Like

hmm, i’d do labels and gotos, so for example:

choice
“She”{
gain she_pronoun
goto she_path
}“He”{
gain he_pronoun
goto he_path
}“They”{
gain they_pronoun
goto they_path
}

label she_path

dialogue

label he_path

dialogue

label they_path

dialogue

kinda confusing, but that’s how I’d do it!

2 Likes

woops im kinda dumb. :flushed:

LOL it’s okay

1 Like

This is kinda what I was thinking I might I have to do just like I said it’s been months since I coded anything I couldn’t really figure out the exact code word for word myself. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out! :smile:

1 Like

no problem!

1 Like

No problem. :smiley:
Oops I said the same thing :clown_face:

Wait really quick. How do I merge these paths after the dialogue has finished?

1 Like

you can’t, bc of the different pronouns used. you’d just have to create 3 different paths for the entire chapter

edit: or at least i dont think you can combine them

Isn’t there something called merging? (Thats a genuine question cuz I don’t remember lol) Also what if instead of putting them on separate paths to begin with I were to just say

if SHE =1
goto label_she

dialogue

dialogue ends and then the rest of the story continues as normal without any separate branches or merging or whatever
(I’m aware this code is not correct but you get the point. Would doing it in this format remove the need for separate paths)

1 Like

hmm, i’m not too sure about merging, but i’d assume no? because the different pronouns are for the entire story, right? unless you plan to rarely mention the pronouns, then yeah, you can merge the dialogue and then split it up when you wanna mention it.

Yea I think I’d just prefer to merge dialogue anytime pronouns are mentioned. Thanks!!

no problem :))

1 Like

Have you considered the idea of how people are able to type in their names? You can have them type in what pronoun and then in dialogue when it comes to using the pronoun of their choice just put [PRONOUN] in the sentence where it’s used. That way you don’t have to make multiple paths.

So that you don’t have to have three different paths, you can check out my gender selection template on my Linktree which makes the coding process much easier. I can explain it further once you’ve had a look if it’s still too complicated— but you will only have one main story path, with a couple if and elif commands here and there x

I thought of this too but the thing is when you’re using a pronouns you aren’t just using she or he etc you’re using she/her/her/hers/herself etc so them typing in one part of that won’t insert the correct form of that pronoun into every sentence it’s needed

1 Like

Lol I just realized afterwards that in some sentences it wouldn’t work. :pleading_face:
Then probably using gains would work best.
So then depending on which pronoun you can use the gains if/elif/else to have the dialogue correspond to the proper pronoun.

So something like:

gain She
(Or whatever) and then to refer to them:

if (She) {
#dialogue for she
} elif (He) {
#dialogue for he
Etc…

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m pretty sure I have it figured out tho.
Let me know how this looks (the “if” part prob isn’t right but I’ll fix that later. I’m pretty sure tho after each dialogue happens depending on the pronoun the scene would just “naturally” merge right?

choice “She/her/her/hers/herself” {
@SHE +1
} “He/him/him/his/himself” {
@HE +1
} “They/them/them/theirs/themself” {
@THEY +1
} “Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs/xemself” {
@XE +1
} “Ey/em/eir/eirs/emself” {
@EY +1
} “Ae/aer/aer/aers/aerself” {
@AE +1