How do I find my golden thread?

Hey everyone!
I have been reading stories on Episode for a while now, and quite recently came up with the idea of starting to write myself. I guess I just kind of need something like a creative outlet :sweat_smile: The actual scripting/code stuff etc. does not scare me that much, usually I learn these things pretty fast and enjoy it a lot. But what does really scare me is getting my story together. :see_no_evil:

I have a huge amount of little plot points, images, dialogues, scenery etc in my head and a relatively clear vision of my characters and how they interact and work with each other. Thing is: How do get all of this stuff into one story?
Do you experience the same thing and can maybe give me some advice or tipp on this one? Where is the guideline? :dizzy_face::sweat_smile:

Thank you in advance :sweat_smile:

3 Likes
4 Likes

I feel like I have a very similar story creation process as you :joy: All of these images of characters and events gurgle until they spew out in either the form of words or code, haha.

If I’m unsure of what my plot for a story will be, I like to just write out a few of the scenes in my head that are the easiest for me to visualize and most exciting for me to write. I just let my writer voo doo flow until the scene is complete and I’m happy with the result (I don’t worry too much about things like grammar or plot at this stage).

Then as I’m rereading this, I ask myself why are the characters interacting the way they are? What is each person trying to get out of the situation? What could be going on in the background that is causing them to be there in the first place? Usually, thinking of these things helps me to slowly piece different scenes together or come up with a common thread to link everything together and begin my story journey.

The cool thing about writing on Episode is you can release parts of an unfinished story. So even if you don’t have all the answers to these questions, you have the opportunity to “unveil” the answers to readers in future stories as you begin to figure things out. With the current story I’m working on, I have the plot 60% figured out, and I’m relying on my ability to pull things out of the air to finish the rest.

This is what works for me! Hopefully you can get some useful information out of this, especially since everyone has a different approach to writing. Good luck!! :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Also i dont know i feel something you should ask yourself when starting to write is “WHO ARE YOU WRITING FOR?” Yeah i know the obvious answer is …Any one who plays episode, Teens+, But are you writing for you or for the readers. If its for you then write the story as YOU see fit, how YOU like it, release chapter when YOU want, etc. BUT if its for the readers, take what they want into consideration, talk to them ask them what they as readers want more of or what they want to see change, or what genres they prefer etc.

3 Likes

thank you! that really helped me a lot, both of your posts :slight_smile:

I definitely want to write for myself. Sure, I’d really appreciate if others liked what I create as well, but the whole idea is more about “what I want to put across” rather than “what you want to be told”. I might coincide at some point, hopefully, but my main concern is to properly convey the message!

3 Likes

This is just my two cents, but I always just try to be true to myself (whether it’s writing or anything else). That way, I won’t be exhausted by putting on an act just to please others.

Also, there are so many Episode readers! I’m sure at least someone will love what you put out :grin:

1 Like

use this! :two_hearts:

2 Likes