How do I get featured on a shelf?

I’ve found a lot of great stories via episode shelves like the “whodunnit” shelf, “hidden gems” shelf and the “april editor’s picks” etc. And i was wondering how does episode choose the stories that are featured. Can anyone help?

5 Likes

people (your readers) can recommend your story under the ig post that announces the making of a new shelf!

5 Likes

Omg fr?? That makes it so much more impossible for me to get featured as who will even mention me… Also a lot of featured stories are (no offense) a bit poorly done so how do people recommend that as well and episode chooses that no questions asked? Sorry I’m really curious

3 Likes

well it’s not only about how many mentions you get, it’s also about how much your story fits in with the shelf topic and ultimately is on Episode to choose the stories

readers have different tastes and like different things, so something you don’t like might be someone else’s favorite thing
and as for how episode chooses them, I don’t know :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Oh yea you’re right tho! Altho i was talking about directing and other aspects of a story are sometimes unprofessional like characters popping up, zooming being weird and very slow and awkward pacing. (No offense to anyone im sorry😭) i saw it just recently on the editor’s picks shelf) but one thing common i noticed on ALL the shelf stories was an animated gif overlay intro (very very pretty) so idk if that really captures reader attention and makes them recommend it. Btw thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

Make sure you have the appropriate tags in your story. It not only helps readers find your story if they’re looking for particular topics, but it helps Episode find your story as well.

5 Likes

For specific themed shelves, Episode will ask for requests of stories fitting the theme on their Episode Creators Instagram! You can recommend your own story if it meets requirements. They also do Editor’s pick shelves which are chosen by Episode editors when they are reviewing your story. So those you don’t really have control over but you can check their Instagram for an upcoming shelf that fits your story!

3 Likes

Does the same happen with contest winners? Or for example when we click on “genre” and then it shows all the genres with stories, to get our story there, does the same thing have to happen?

Hey! i’ve been featured before (but you already knew that haha) and tbh… i really did nothing. i think i got like 5 recommendations for a shelf and got picked. i mean, i fit the category, but i really did nothing. for me it was pure luck (i think??) but as everyone has said, IG really is the best way!

5 Likes

Oh you’re lucky! What’s the story called?

contests are another thing - they get announced also here on the forums and here you can find all the rules. you have to write a completely new story for a contest, while for a shelf you propose an already published story

and what you see on the app under every genre are the trending stories. a story is trending if it has many reads and gems spent on it

2 Likes

All clear! Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

It was part of the non-binary authors shelf I think.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help!! (Ps- I’m such a huge fan of your story i hope you know that you’re AMAZING ily!)

1 Like

Ohh i never knew that haha thanks so much!!

1 Like

Oh yes that makes sense! You deserved it tho and there aren’t many stories with as much diversity as yours. And thanks for informing me about this!

1 Like

omg wait i’m reading that story rn! @dishsoap The Florist is a great story!

2 Likes

thank you so much!! i think i worry too much when it comes to that story haha

1 Like