How do I let readers edit their character, if they chose their name?

This may be a little confusing…

I made a character, but I let them choose their name. Do I need to make a character that says, “name” or can I just use my default character and it’ll show up as their character?

Example:
Dzana is my default character name, but if they chose the name it’ll say Hannah or whatever they chose.

I’m asking this because I tested this in the app and used a diferent name, but it showed up as the exact same name.

Also, if I let them change their character looks, must I put in NAME or my default character’s name?

I don’t know, it’s kind of confusing to explain.

1 Like

For the script name: It can be Dzana
For the display name: It should be NAME or YOU

When writing in the portal. You’re going to be using the default name. When you need to address that person. It will look like this.

DZANA (talk_animation)
My name is [NAME]

You put in the script name for the cc

You need to change her display name to NAME.

Actually not. I always call my default MC JANE. here you go I made the code. just put this is and the name will change to that if they change it

label my_name_input

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(DZANA)

if (DZANA is “”) {

NARR
You do need a name...

goto my_name_input

} else {
continue
}

and then when you write the name make sure to write [DZANA]

You need to change the display name of your character to NAME if you’re using the template input What’s Your Name?|What’s Your Name?|Done(NAME).

no you dont. this works for me.

Look at this guide.

You dont have to do that she can just do as I do keep the name. and use the code I use. if you dont belive me try it

No it’s ok sorry, I’m new to this coding thing and this is what I’ve learned so far.

its okay we all have to start a place. you can see in the where I change the name to DAZANA. if you change it to any name the charatere is it will accept that. I use the same code for nameing multiple charateres

but there is no rule you have to use NAME - you can code it anything you like

a lot of people use YOU and not NAME

It just means that either you change the display name and then you use ins script always word NAME

or you have what ever you want in Display name you just have to use in script the same.
So if you decide to use BIGBADBOY you can use it too just of cause than the Input command will be

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(BIGBADBOY)

It’s pretty the same as gains or label names - you can use what you want just you then have to use it in the script the chosen way.

Yes I know, but I said that you need NAME because I assumed she used the input with (NAME).

it can also be used for codes like

okay his phone code is 1234. then you write

label my_code_input

input What’s The Code?|What’s The Code?|Done(1234)

if (1234 is “1234”) {

NARR
Right code I got in

} else {
NARR
Wrong

goto my_code_input

}

So back to your question. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As you see the discussion - it depends on the fact what you decided tu use as a code word in the input command

If you have

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(NAME) you will have to than always in script use NAME

If you have

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(DZANA) you will have to then always in script use DZANA

For better understanding it is maybe the best to see whatever you use as a code name and not the real name.

1. what ever you choice - you have to put it in the display name - so the reader will see his chosen name above the speachbubble

2. when writing the script again what ever you choise if you want in speach some character to say you have to put the chosen word in brackets:

NARRATOR
[NAME] is such a pretty name!

NARRATOR
[DZANA] is such a pretty name!

!! if you will use DZANA as you code and write it like this without brackets:

NARRATOR
DZANA is such a pretty name!

It will not work and even if reader renamed her to Ebony he will see DZANA in this sentence - so the brackets are esential to make it work.

1 Like

Okay, thanks

1 Like

Closed: Marked as solved by Op @Dzana :v: