How do I use the overlay?

I’m trying to use the EFFECT SMOKE one. I never use overlays, but now I really want to get better at doing these. Yet, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to fix the effect. PLS help.

34%20AM

BACKGROUND with OVERLAY

1 Like

Read this guide to learn how to use overlays: Placing & Animating Overlays

If you want the overlay in your scene, just add it next to the background name like this:

EXT. JUNGLE BUNKER DESTROYED - DAY with EFFECT SMOKE

You don’t need the opacity command. That’s only if you use the create command.

1 Like
1 Like

@overlay EFFECT SMOKE opacity 0 in 1
or @overlay EFFECT SMOKE opacity 1 in 0
^^^ If you’re trying to have the opacity change at a certain time

1 Like

EXT. JUNGLE BUNKER DESTROYED - DAY with EFFECT SMOKE
@overlay EFFECT SMOKE opacity 1 in 0

then if you want the overlay in a certain spot use shift and scale to place it where you want.

1 Like

if you write overlay next to the background you do not need command opacity 1 in 0 in because the overlay is already visible - this you need only in case you use create comand.

i know, i put that there to show how to word it in the future because they worded it wrong.

yeah but putting it to gether when she do not know how to direct overlays might be bit confuzing. :wink:

Basically, there are 2 ways how to place overlay.

SO THE ABSOLUTE BASIC:

If you want it to appear at the beginning of the scene best is to write it next to the background

INT. JUNGLE BUNKER DESTROYED - DAY with EFFECT SMOKE
This will make your overlay immediately visible in the original place and scale.
You can also ad shift and scale command or layer command here - but for it look closely in Dara’s post

Another possibility is to use create command.

@overlay EFFECT SMOKE create

However, when you use it the script creates it with opacity 0 = it is invisible
so you need to add the opacity command under the create command

@overlay EFFECT SMOKE opacity 1 in 0

And again for the shifting and scaling commands look more closely to the Dara’s post

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.