How do people create a name for a city/country/planet?

Hi guys!
I’m writing a story and I’m having trouble naming the city where it takes place. I’m also without ideas for the name of the country AND the name of the planet.
Do you guys have any ideas :thinking:? You can write in the comments as many ideas as you’d like, I’ll need a lot of them :slightly_smiling_face: .

3 Likes

I like to write my own campaigns for D&D, and my own low effort method is to create place names using compound words, which are basically two words, usually nouns and/or adjectives mashed together.

Or you can always use a one of those free online name generators: https://www.namegenerator.biz/place-name-generator.php :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I say just type up a random word, as misspelled as you can, and then auto-correct would correct and-there you have it: a city. :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you so much. This was really helpfull :grin:

2 Likes

I actually like your idea. I’m definitely gonna try it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well there are many countries/places named after Saints (ex. St. Vincent, St. Lucia, St. Ives ect.) That’s another method you may want to try, probably pick a random name :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll try that as well. Thank you.

2 Likes

You can find some nice sounding word in a foreign language (more ideally if it has different letters, but not necessary) and make it the name, just be sure to misspell it so it won’t actually be a word-- and you can literally just type words in google translate in all kind of languages, use the audio and find a word that sounds nice and write it down how it sounds, and you got bunch of made up words that could be names of places!

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: That’s awesome. The only time autocorrect is gonna be useful.

2 Likes

First u narrow down what u want; fantasy kingdom, Earth, another planet, an evil dimension and based on what the whole place is like (ex. fantasy) u can type in “fantasy city names” into Google and find a random search generator to do the rest :heart:

2 Likes

Random name generators are lifesavers, lol.

3 Likes

Yep they are :joy: :wink:

2 Likes

Like they are the best for any kind of names - gangs, cities, countries, planets, universes or kingdoms or creatures.

2 Likes

Thank you! That sounds interesting actually so I’m going to try :smile:

1 Like

I’ll do that as well. Thank you :heart:

1 Like

I just make random sounds with my mouth and write down what I’m hearing

xx

:wink:

1 Like

@Jeremy
Could you close this thread, please?

Thank you for all of your suggestions!