How Do Y'all Feel About Music&Sound in a Story?

So, I’m writing a story and I’m currently adding music and sounds, how do you guys feel about music when you read a story? Do you prefer there to be lots? Or just every now and again? Also, if you do like music, do you think every scene needs music in the background, or is silence okay sometimes?
Let me know your thoughts!

11 Likes

I definitely prefer it every now and then. If the music was constantly playing, it would get annoying. Also, people would prefer if you were to turn down the volume and then raise it again when playing a sound, which would make the coding harder to do if you added tons of music. Sorry, just my opinion lol. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No need to be sorry, that’s very helpful! I was thinking the same to be honest, constantly having music would get a little frustrating and would be a lot more work. Thank you for your thoughts!

2 Likes

To be honest, 99% of the time I don’t read a story with music/sounds.
Some prefer music, but I don’t.

If you write a story, you should add the necessary stuff, like gunshots/club music idk.
Not every scene needs music. :sparkling_heart:
(I’m writing a story myself that contains sounds/music for the necessary stuff so people who prefer sounds, like it too.)

These are my thoughts. :blush::two_hearts::hugs:

4 Likes

That’s like me! I never have my sound on when reading episodes, but i know that a lot of stories use them, so thought it’d be best for me to add some in. So would you say that sound effects are more important than actual music itself in most cases?
Thank you for giving your opinion !!

3 Likes

Yup, that’s it! (Short answer. :see_no_evil:)

Everything that adds up or completes a scene is fine.
Everything that’s unnecessary or feels to you extra, you should leave it out.

Music in every scene would make it too much in my opinion. I’ve read stories like that, and after a while, it gets annoying. (For me at least)

If a story is well-written and expresses/describes every emotion/situation amazingly, music and stuff are unnecessary to me. It’s a small detail for me that could complement a scene. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel! Thank you for your input thats extremely helpful!!:heart:

3 Likes

I like adding sound effects and music in my story. It conveys the mood of the scenes. As for me, I write Comedies, so adding sfx at the right timing of a joke nails it and makes it more funnier in my opinion. I never over play the same song and use different music every time so it doesn’t get repetitive.

7 Likes

Yes, same. Music gets annoying and redundant if it’s constantly playing, but I honestly can’t stand it when entire scenes have no sounds whatsoever. That’s what background noises are for. So even if no music is meant to play in a particular scene, I’d still try to find a sound that fits (and put it in low volume). For example, a scene taking place in a park or in the city could use birds chirping or chatter/traffic noises.

4 Likes

I think music enhances the reading experience! It helps to build an emotional connection, build suspense, and more! I think it’s a great addition to stories.

6 Likes

I never read a story with episode music and sounds.
I read with my own music.

4 Likes

That makes complete sense, one of the things i’m struggling with is finding the right music to fit the tone of the scene to be honest, I’m just trying not to overdo it. Thank you!!

2 Likes

That’s also what I was thinking, like in a cafe scene have a bit of chatter going on in the background otherwise it just sounds odd if its silent. Thank you!!

4 Likes

Definitely @epy.neha I want scenes to have an emotional effect on the reader sometimes too, which i think certain music could help with, thanks you !!!

@Ldn that’s what I do too, music doesn’t impact me personally when reading and I’m always listening to my own music anyway, thank you!

5 Likes

I mean, personally, I don’t really need music and sounds in a story to enjoy reading it…

4 Likes

Yeah @swritesep! No problem xxx

3 Likes

I like it, and I have my sound on 90% of the time! Every scene is fine in MY opinion – I feel stories with no sound are a bit lonely haah. But it doesn’t bother me to the point I wouldn’t read the story. I don’t know, it’s entirely your choice! :)))

3 Likes

i loveeeee music like almsost every scene hehe

3 Likes

Okay, this is just personal, but I love music in every scene, but only if makes sense in the scene. For example, you can’t have a rock song playing at a baby’s birthday, or at the hospital. Also, I don’t really like scenes where there is no music. It just seems vacant and empty, like I’m just reading off a paper when I’m supposed to be feeling, since it’s an interactive game and all. But I guess people have their own opinions, and every single one of them makes sense. Plus it’s your story, so you can do what you think is best! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes