How do you background fade using overlays?

Hey guys, im trying to figure out how to fade an overlay into a background. I know it probably sounds confusing but what im trying to do is have a door over a background and then make the door fade into the background using opacity, but when i try making an overlay go from full opacity to 0 it leaves a weird sheer view of the OL still there. I’ve seen authors do this and it looked amazing so do you guys know how to do it?

How I tried coding it in the portal
INT. PLAIN LIVINGROOM DOOR CLOSE - DAY with DOOR CLOSED OL at layer 4 with DOOR OPEN NIGHT OL at layer 2
@overlay DOOR CLOSED OL opacity 1 in 0
@CHAR spot 0.762 139 267 AND CHAR faces right
&CHAR moves to layer 3
@pause for a beat

&overlay DOOR OPEN NIGHT OL to layer 1
@overlay DOOR CLOSED OL opacity 0 in 2.0

@Rose_Gold,

Once it gets to 0, they probably just remove the overlay all together. But I’m not 100% sure.

This is a guide that Dara Amarie from Episode made.

@Rose_Gold
So I experienced a similar issue with one of my overlays. Usually all my overlays fade properly. If yoy have used any of those PNG size reducing sites this may be a problem. You need to try saving your file again using photoshop. Or try creating or downloading another PNG file.

Are you previewing your story with the web previewer, as opposed to on your mobile device?
The web previewer doesn’t show changes in overlay opacity correctly. I suggest checking on your phone to see how it looks.

I’ll try using it in the app. Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes thank you this is what I was kind of envisioning

@overlay BACKGROUND shifts to 0 0
@overlay BACKGROUND scales to 1.000 1.000

Always use @overlay BACKGROUND shifts to 0 0
@overlay BACKGROUND scales to 1.000 1.000

1.000 gives it the full size, while 0 0 bring the photo down to ground level.