How do you choose stories?

So I am curious how people choose stories,
Based on the number of reads?
Cover/Description?
Recommendation?
So I do not know if I am one of those odd people who use to not go to the top trending list, I actually scrolled through genres when I was reading stories on the app. Now I find myself writing or doing R4R’s but I am curious how other people find stories?

9 Likes

I usually pick because of the cover and if the description seems interesting it give it a read!
Hope that helps

3 Likes

Anything helps, I am just interested in how people choose. Thank you for your reply.

2 Likes

Hi I usually go to the genre I like and just keep scrolling until I see a nice cover and then I will bookmark it until I have about two or 3 options then play the first episode of all.

5 Likes

I read any genre, I don’t care about the cover, I just scroll and if I find any description that seems interesting then I read it and if I do read it and like it I add it to my favs

3 Likes
  • Screenshots on Instagram
  • Going to shelves, picking an interesting cover, and reading the description
  • In threads where we talk about our stories, something an author said about theirs might make me interested in reading it
  • If I liked the author’s previous story/stories, it’s very likely that I’ll check out other stories by them
4 Likes

I usually try to find certain tags. I’m a male user, so I like to look for stories where I can play as a male MC. Same with LGBTQ+ content and branches.

5 Likes

I’m pretty picky with stories, so I’ll usually search by tags and then filter even further through story descriptions and author profiles. I much prefer to read stories by LGBTQ+ authors and BIPOC authors. So in the end, my selection is usually pretty limited lol. While I do make exceptions, this is just my basic formula

3 Likes

Also screenshots and trending :thinking:

2 Likes

I would search the trending section or the drama/romance genre and read the story descriptions. If it’s interesting enough, I’ll read it. The covers, reads and recommendations don’t matter to me :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I often use…

• Screenshots posted on Instagram
  • Genre Shelves
  • Authors Who I’ve Read a Story or so of Theirs Before

I don’t often use…

• Contest Winner Shelves
  • Editors Pick Shelves
  • Stories We Love Shelf
  • Randomly Appearing Shelves (Whodunnit, Mental Awareness Stories etc…)
2 Likes

For me it’s a mix of everything… :woman_facepalming: :woman_shrugging:
Mostly I choose a story, because:

• I think the author deserves my read (so it’s seldom that I read a popular story);
  • the cover and description interests me;
  • the recommendations on this forum interested me;
  • a R4R linked me to the story :wink: ;
  • I saw some awesome screenshots of the story on Instagram.

Love A-W

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is Episode-related. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

I would pick the genre I’m feeling like reading, and I scroll, when I find a nice cover (doesn’t have to be drawn, it could be edited as long as it’s nice to look at) I check the description, if I got curious, I’ll read, if it didn’t grab my attention, I would keep scrolling!

I feel like I want to clear out the whole cover thing, now I know not everyone is able to commission artists and i totally understand, but even if it’s a pretty edited cover, it would still catch my attention as the author really looks like they tried hard on making it look neat!

2 Likes

All of the above, but I’ll look passed the amount of reads or a poor cover if I’ve heard a particular story is well-written. If a description is poorly written though, to me it’s indicative of the quality of grammar and spelling throughout the story and I will tend to leave it even though I know that’s not the case for every story since some of them have their content proofread. But it’s just off-putting.

3 Likes

Well cover is something that definitely caughts my attention first, then I read the description and if it sounds interesting (and doesn’t have any spelling/grammar mistakes) I will give it a try! Number of reads usually does not play a role, unless it’s a story with not that captivating cover/description but has a high number of reads, in that case I will give it a shot simply because if it’s not good there wouldn’t be so many people that like/read it

1 Like

The small cover is what you see first, so the small cover has to be interesting enough for me to click on it. As for the rest, I read the description and then I’ll decide if I’m going to give it a read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Covers are definitely a deciding factor. It shouldn’t be too boring, in my opinion (like, just a background and a title isn’t really attractive). And descriptions are what the reader first comes to know about your story, so descriptions need to be a “hook”, if you will.
So for me, it’s mostly the cover and the description.

1 Like

First, I rule out things which don’t generally interest me: mafia, toxic LI, stories in Classic, etc. Then, I get a good look at the description. I always avoid stories which have a generic description like “You just met a cute guy. Will you win his heart?” because I feel that not enough effort was put into writing it. The cover doesn’t matter too much to me, but something with characters on it will probably catch my attention more than something that doesn’t have characters. I usually pick stories with at least 1k reads, but I’m willing to give a story which has less than that a try. I mainly aim for stories that are popular, but not waaaaaaaaayyy over-the-top popular because those are the type in which I find the best stories; however, as I’ve said before, I’m willing to give others a chance. I look for unique, new, and original stories.

1 Like

I peruse the forums for stories. Then I search them on the App. I’ll also go to the authors profile to see what stories they recommend.

1 Like