How do you feel about long chapters?

Everyone has their preferences, but I personally don’t mind long chapters since that way I feel like I’m not wasting my passes too quickly. And when I say long chapters I mean like 20-30+ minutes or so. My current story that I’m working on averages between 15-30 minutes because I like to include subplots or reveal more about a character/show some backstory etc.

How do you feel about long chapters? Are there any stories with long chapters that you recommend?

4 Likes

i also love long chapters! it feels like my passes are worth it. My story has longer chapters too for the same reason! I can’t fit the events of a whole day into 10 minutes if i did the story would be so boring lol

1 Like

Yay, someone who understands! :butterfly:

1 Like

I don’t like long chapters at all :sweat_smile:
A story has to be amazing to have long chapters in my opinion, otherwise it gets really boring

3 Likes

Long chapters are good! ONLY if they’re filled with good storytelling. I’m sorry but I don’t want to sit around reading a chapter for like 20 minutes that has little to no character development or any plot in general. I aim to keep my chapters anywhere from 10-15 minutes. But, I do have sympathy for people that keep their chapters short because I know how time consuming it can be to make one chapter.

6 Likes

Of course, that’s your opinion :sparkles:

Exactly. Speaking for myself, my main aim in creating long chapters is so that readers can connect to the characters more.

1 Like

I have multiple subplots as well and i don’t want to abandon them every couple episodes so the episodes are a few minutes shorter, understanding and connecting with the characters is important and its so hard to do that when they’re on screen for 2 minutes an episode.

1 Like

I agree. You should do whatever feels right for your story. Remember it’s YOUR story and if you think telling it will exceed the average duration that Episode stories usually are then so be it as long as it’s great storytelling. In my humble opinion, I think more authors should not just focus on the main character in their stories but expand more about their other characters, if that makes sense. It just makes it more real and eliminates the possibility of a story consisting of multiple characters with no backstory or development.

2 Likes

yes i totally agree, when i first started the goal was for it to look more like a TV show than episode stories id read in the past, like have multiple storylines and character development across all characters not just the MC and LI.

4 Likes

omg I thought that was only me! Girl, keep doing what you’re doing - I’d love to give it a read one day - I’m sure it’d be worth it :cloud::white_heart:

3 Likes

I’d love to read yours as well, you can PM the link if its published <3

1 Like

Still drafting! But I can definitely share it when it’s ready even if it’s not published :sparkles: :heartpulse:

yes definitely! Mt stories called Time is Deadly if you do wanna give it a read <3

1 Like

I don’t mind long episodes, especially if the story is good.

1 Like

I have a lot of free time in my hands so I will for sure, thank you :blob_hearts:

1 Like

yay thanks sm, id love to know what you think

1 Like

Personally I’m a big fan of long chapters, so long as it’s not filler. It really does feel like you’re getting more for your pass, to me anyways. Ultimately, I think chapters should take as long as they need to. Stories have a flow to them and having short, bite-sized chapters doesn’t work for every story, and the reverse is true as well. I tried writing shorter chapters in the beginning but it just didn’t work. I kept feeling like not enough story and development were being placed in them, or that they were being ended at odd breaks. So I just started making them as long as they needed to be. Most of mine average between 15-20 minutes, but there are some that went above that because that’s simply what was required of the story. Thankfully, I never got any complaints about them being too long. Of course that might just be because I have a small following. :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you for being so articulate, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Storytelling is art and you can’t rush art! :sparkles:

Although I may or may not have filler scenes in my current story - Can you explain to me what you mean by filler? I do include scenes where its goal is to develop the character more rather than affect the overall plot since my story is mostly character-driven.

2 Likes

To me filler is when you have scenes that serve no purpose other than to pad the page count, or in the case of Episode, how long the chapter is. If it doesn’t advance the plot or develop the characters then it probably is filler. Having characters go out for a walk together - filler. Having characters go out for a walk and something occurs that advances the plot like running into another character to gain info, or stumbling upon something important - not filler. Having characters go out for a walk and through their discussion and actions you gain insight into their relationship/dynamic and get a better understanding of who the characters are - not filler. I feel the same way about dialogue. Every line should have a purpose, be it to tell you something important, or to make the conversation sound believable and flow naturally.

6 Likes