How do you feel about revamping a story?

Everything is in the title, how do you feel about revamping a story to make it better? And if you ever revamped a story before, how did you do it?
I’m asking because I’ve been wanting to make the chapters on my first story longer, and make the directing a little better as well, but I don’t know how to do so, should I just edit the story or should I create a new story that would be the same but revamped? I hope I don’t sound too confusing lol
Thanks!

2 Likes

i’ve revamped my chapters a few times but i’m officially done with it now :joy::joy: basically i just went back to all of my previous chapters and made the story better by adding the points system and improving the directing by a lot!

2 Likes

I feel pretty good about it! I finally know how to code, I’m a advanced coder now. My first stories were basic directing and my grammar needed more work so now I’m revamping all of my stories and new story yet to come soon!

2 Likes

edit your story. :wink: I’ve start over my stories but if u want to start over then u can if u want to.

1 Like

I’ve never revamped a story but personally I would create a new one. Partly because I would like to keep the original and but mostly because it Could create problems if you want to change a lot. for example if you updated chapter 1 and someone started reading, then they would read an updated chapter 1 and old chapter 2 where the storylines might not add up. Or the other way around if anyone started reading before the update and then when they continue you’ve updated the chapters. The new updated chapter might for example mention things that didn’t happen in the old version. Starting a new story guarantees that everyone reads the story as it should be

2 Likes

i’m working on my first story so i haven’t ever revamped everything, but i’m not against it. if author’s writing and coding becomes better i don’t see why not!

1 Like

I did small revamps for two of my stories that included grammar correction and fixing directing errors. For one of them I just edited the original version, but the other was a whole mess so it seemed easier to write is as a new story. Even these small things made me feel better about these stories, so if you are not satisfied with your early works, I would say go for it.
I’ve been planning a major revamp for my first story, but I’m still looking for the time and inspiration to do that because I’d like to rewrite the whole plot, so yeah… :anguished:

3 Likes

I am low key addicted to this.

Basically, I published a few short stories for contests when I was first starting out - barely knew how to zoom or spot direct. I didn’t know how gains, labels, points worked. I also thought the guidelines were way way stricter with things like murder and sex, and that both weren’t allowed to even be mentioned under any circumstances (idk how I came to this conclusion) and so now I look back at them and feel like they’re such a poor representation of me as an author now, that I need to revamp them.

The first proper revamp I did was for a three episode story. I changed it to be multiple endings. The directing and story line was actually pretty decent with this one, so I felt I didn’t have to actually change much - just add to it. I brought the first half of episode 2 into episode 1, added quite a lot of new scenes to make up the second half of episode 2, and then used all the points and gains built up to create the two extra endings which I then put into episode 3. It also underwent a name change… which I’m still not happy with but tbh I have bigger revamps on my mind right now.

The other revamps are— Well, I just went into each episode and backspaced everything and am doing a complete write over with different characters anyway, sooooooo

This is really just up to how much you feel you can save - Personally, I recommend writing over or fixing the one you’ve got since the archive feature isn’t that reliable so no doubt people can still find it lol

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, it helps a lot!
I started revamping the story, (didn’t create a new one, just adding to it) I fixed a lot of directing problems and coding problems, cringed at myself a little, and now I’m trying to add new scenes as well. However, it’s kinda hard to think of new scenes to add because I fear it may change the story, but I HAVE to, because I used to make the episodes so short for whatever reason lol

1 Like

Omg yessssss

I wouldn’t be to hard on yourself here. Short episodes are actually a great way to get a higher retention since it encourages people to binge read. My advice would be to look at your content and if it feels like enough happens, regardless of how long the episode is, then you don’t need to force yourself to make another scene

1 Like

I do revamp it. I think I prefer it so that a masterpiece can be created. Also, stories can’t be deleted once updated or published… so that itself is a concern.

2 Likes

That’s the first time I get an answer like that when I talk about having short episodes, and I have to admit it makes a lot of scenes, thank you! I’ll keep that in mind when revamping, I shouldn’t pressure myself into making the episodes too long either. Thank you again!

2 Likes

can I ask something? I thought when you published an episode, it wasn’t possible to edit your story. So, is it? (I don’t know if it is because I’ve never published a story before…)

I have such a strong opinion on this.

I would just recreate a new copy of the story and just relabel this one as “old version”.

My favorite author, Noir (no longer active), wrote the story “What’s on Sunday?” She revamped and never finished. I cannot quite express how disheartened I was. :sob: That story literally changed my life, it was that good. I’m so sad she revamped because now I never can look back on those chapters that gave me such a good laugh.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice but I think writers are so critical of themselves. You may think your story needs a revamp, but your readers might think completely differently.

-Lynne Harper :sparkles: