How do you find time to write episodes

Hey everyone! I am someone who has always struggled with time management in general and as we all know writing and coding episode stories takes a lot of time. I’ve been struggling to find time in my day to work on my stories especially recently and I was wondering how you guys find time in a busy lifestyle to work on yours. Any advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I find that time blocking definitely works for me, once I know blocking out a certain amount of time, I’ll be dedicating that time to writing only. Otherwise, it’s easy to come up with excuses! I also wrote this blogpost on time management, I think the part on scheduling will help you out! :heart:

2 Likes

You take time to the things you wanna do.

also I only work 4 days a week

1 Like

I don’t really have issue with this. I’m always really excited and passionate about my story ideas and want to write them but I feel guilty when I do because I know I have other obligations that need To be done. I feel like I have no time for the stuff I enjoy

1 Like

I’ll definitely check it out, thanks!

1 Like

I am also working and I too struggled with finding time to write my stories initially.
I usually take 2 hours a day to spend my time writing stories.

It does consume lots of time, but keep your priorities up. Once you had completed your story, you will gain lots of satisfaction.

Take your time. Don’t worry about not being able to complete it early. :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! This week was pretty disheartening for me because I had both today and yesterday off and planned to finish my schoolwork and then work on my story for the rest of the day but ended up taking all day to complete the schoolwork. I’ll try setting aside time for it because I definitely wasn’t productive the whole day I just felt like I couldn’t work on it until after i finished the stuff I needed to do

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to Episode. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

I had that feeling a few times when I started off.
All the best to you. Just do it at your own pace! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

No worries, girl <3 hope it serves you!

1 Like

I spend a lot of my weekend writing.

2 Likes

I actually have no idea :rofl:
It took me ages to get my new story published because I was moving like a snail and had so many other obligations and I don’t really know where I’ve found the time to update as regularly as I have been (although it helps that my episodes are on the shorter side).

I don’t have a social life though. That probably helps.

2 Likes

Since the coronavirus has us on quarantine, and I’m a student, we now do E-Learning. (Online school)
It’s way easier for me to get time into writing and coding, my online schoolwork gets done in about an hour and I have the whole day to do nothing! I miss going out, though :pensive:

Edit -
As for advice, take your time girlie! If you have more important stuff to do, make sure you don’t rush those! There’s always a time to actually sit down and start writing/coding. But I do suggest if schoolwork is taking all day, have a study group with you! It can be face-timing friends, any family member, etc!

3 Likes

Well I know I have plenty of time to work on my story with the quarantine.

1 Like

I wish I could say the same but my spring break got extended an extra week in all this craziness and to make up for it my teachers just crammed the extra week of assignments into the rest of the school year which may have not been a big deal earlier in the year but Since we only have about four more weeks left most of them are projects and so my workload feels like it’s doubled since quarantine

I’ll try to answer this :grin:.

I work full time (3 12 hour night shifts a week) in a nursing home so I really only have about 3-4 days off a week depending on sleep. I can manage to get at least an episode done most weeks, so I think I have a fairly good idea of what works. Some things I’ve learned:

1. Outlining helps a lot. If I already have an idea of what I need to write about the process goes a lot quicker.
  2. I will sometimes code on my phone during downtime at work (not very often though).
  3. I try to set time aside for writing but I also know it’s good to take breaks. Try to find an hour or so a day even to just write. If you can’t find an hour I would look at maybe managing time. Most people have more time than they realize. I’ve started managing my time better and I’ve suddenly got all this time to do things.

I don’t know if this would be helpful or how you’re getting your assignments but I’d maybe try to spend a few days a week just working on school and then other days focusing more on writing. Also maybe give yourself some breaks from the school work to write. It’s good that you want to get your homework done but there’s nothing wrong with taking an hour halfway through to write. :grin:

This is a jumbled mess. I’m sorry for that. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

No don’t apologize this is actually really helpful thank you so much I’ll definitely give it a shot!

1 Like

Oh okay! Yay! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::grin:

1 Like

Well, in all honesty I have very little time to write. My day job takes me out the house for 12+ every day and during my days off or spare time, I’m mostly doing house work, cooking, taking care of my family etc. Generally, my free time during the day is 12:00 to 13:00 lunch break at work which I eat and sometimes do plot and character development and write out all the dialogue. Then 19:30 to 22:00 at home before I need to get to sleep. During that time, I code. Personally, I guess I can get a lot of coding done depending on what exactly I need to code, as I follow all my written notes. I guess, also, with my 3 years of coding experience, I have a general idea of what exactly I need to code and how to code it: and the advantage of that would be coding faster as I don’t need to waste time on finding the right codes or formats. Haha. I think I understand why I’m so exhausted all the time. :rofl:

1 Like

Oh man I wish I could relate this I feel like I have to look up every single line of coding