How do you keep motivated to write?

For fellow authors, we ALWAYS go through the constant pain of having no motivation to write and whatnot.
I’d just gotten over my own huge unmotivated process & I’m curious about how you keep motivated?
I personally figure out sometimes that when I’m not motivated to write maybe it’s that part of the story that doesn’t make sense or anything else with the current scene I’ve been stuck on.
Anyways…
I’d love to hear how you keep motivated & anything else about episode & coding you’d want to talk about! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

i find if i’m unmotivated to write a scene its because its just bad so i change it. I also try to alternate between making outfits, backgrounds and art while coding so i don’t get bored and not wanna do it anymore.

9 Likes

Oh, that’s very helpful! :hugs:

1 Like

If I have a writers block I take a break from episode. Depends on how long I need at that time. I just do something else, like: take a walk (with dog or cat), work or something else, making new characters with outfits or talking at this forum (giving advice or help). I try to keep my mind of the story, because after a while the inspiration mostly come back at moments I am not occupied with my story. I write for fun and don’t want to be forced to write. What I try to say. If you don’t have the motivation, at the moment, it’s not a bad thing. Just keep your head up and keep your motivation to something else, after a while your inspiration comes back.

6 Likes

I’ve been writing since 2016 for web comic, then was working in game design team to make story and 2D art for game and animation. Writer block or being unmotivated happens time to time and no matter how much I like writing, I have my moments that makes me unmotivated. Especially if you’re working for client, so you can’t make story as like as you want.
So for me, most of the time happen when I don’t engage with story that I make.

When I was in college for creative writing class, lecture gave us some tips to prevent writer block/ unmotivated

1. Make story points when we’re really motivated. Like a short sentences for every chapter in your story, then make it until the end of the story. Character introduction, climax, endings etc. So you basically finish the whole story in just 2/3 word pages.
  2. Don’t re-read it from the start, you have to keep writing till the end no matter what.
  3. And after it’s done, you can read it again from the start and evaluate the whole story
  4. If you like the story, you can start writing the complete one or you make each story points longer.
  5. Keep a note or phone notes with you, sometimes ideas come in random place while you do random things. Add your new idea in side notes of your story points.

Because, you already know how great your story will be from the start till the end, you will motivated to ending it. And I suggest you not to accept all critiques that you get, especially relate to the story plots. You like the story you wrote, but some people may not and it’s okay. Keep writing, they may not your audiences.

At least, those tips from my lectures keep me going, I wrote 9 stories so far (not in episode)

Other than that, you may want to hiatus from writing related activities, and do another hobbies, because if you really can’t write anything, maybe it’s because you’re burn out.

I hope you understand what I wrote here, because english isn’t my first language so… :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

taking a break from episode (has helped alot!!), listening to music, watching movies, reading novels. these things not only keep me going but they also inspire me. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

I’m telling you if you feel like you don’t want to do it for a while and you want a break, is worth it. Just take that little break that your thing, because is true sometimes you feel like you want time apart for a while so do it. Watching movies might give you motivation and ideas too, listening to music and just doing the things you want is okay! And it is exhausting sometimes to make outfits and do new background characters etc. it’s soooooo long but again if you feel like you want to be away from it then do :))

3 Likes

I do a lot of the activities you listed. I find it works to just take a break from the writing no matter the length of time :hugs: thank you for the advice!

1 Like

I completely understand what you wrote, don’t worry!:hugs: I love the writing tips you made! I usually lokkgat the beginning when having a writers block to try motivating myself to write but your tip makes more sense! :hugs: Can’t wait to try all the tips out!

I love that those activities inspire you to write! I also love to listen to music or read a good book when I feel unmotivated! :heart:

1 Like

Don’t remind me if background characters :rofl: personally, I don’t mind doing outfits a lot of the time because I like to make a visual of the outfits the characters would wear ahead of time but… I love how you’re like, You need a break? That’s fine! I also love watching movies when I have no motivation to write, I can even get a few ideas from it or just watching an episode on a show can help me create a scene better!:hugs:

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:!

1 Like

yes, sometimes when you re-read the story points, our creative “flame” becomes smaller and smaller, you start doubting your story, and less excited with the plot and the ending. I did that a lot in the past cause I can’t resist to read what I wrote :joy:
One of my favorite novelist does the same, even though she thought that the plot isn’t good lol, at least she has to keep the flame on till the end, because ideas easier to come when the flame is on.

1 Like

Yes, the flame always gets smaller as I reread the story so far😭 but that flame when on,it’s on, it stays on for a while!

Well I get writers block a lot and I have many stories written out and unreleased because I didn’t like the vibe. I just do little bits here and there when an idea strikes in my head, or if it’s late I’ll write it down on my notes page and then get back to it :two_hearts: open to talk if you ever need non coding related help goes for everyone else here too :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I feel you a lot with that! I love coming up with so many different ideas for a story then they just… disappear. I would love to talk sometime! :heart:

1 Like

When I don’t get any motivation (mainly it’s because I can’t think of a new idea), I listen to songs and watch some movies to get ideas and I feel motivated again to write

1 Like

I love that you listen to music when you’re unmotivated! I do the same thing!:heart: Also, side note, I love your profile picture :hugs:

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks, I like yours too.

1 Like