How do you keep track of characters and outfits?

There is so much work in making a story.
I’m a new author, and I was wondering, how do people keep track of their characters and their outfits?

Many authors have so many characters and background characters in their stories, and so many more outfits. I was wondering, how do you all keep track of it? Anybody have some tips??

I usually name every background character and every new outfit with the name of the event that I’m creating. So, for example, if I have a scene in a club I would do something like BACKGROUNDCLUB1 for characters and club_charactername for the outfit. Idk if this is helpful since I’m a fairly new author too

2 Likes

That’s a really smart idea!!

1 Like

I learned the hard way that if you’re planning a long story, you’re best off naming the outfits with the name of the character you want to wear it included somewhere. I usually do something like:
CHARACTERNAME_somethingrelatedtothesceneorepisode

AMBEROSE_skankoutfit

3 Likes

I feel so stupid now :woman_facepalming:
That is really helpful thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I kinda do what @Zey does but I usually write ZZBF1 OR ZZBM1 a short version of BACKGROUNDFEMALE/MALE. I use The letters ZZ so that those characters are in the bottom of the character/outfit lists. Also, I do ZZBFFANCY1, ZZBFPARTY1, ZZBFCASUAL1, etc for clothes. I don’t like seeing the background peeps within my main character list lol

1 Like

That’s so smart omg!

Thanks! I know it’s not for everyone :blush: but I hope it helps!

1 Like

I’m so bad at this! When a character is wearing something specific, I name the outfits as CHARACTER_underwear or CHARACTER_costume, but most of the time I number my outfits by the episode they’re wearing it: CHARACTER_1, CHARACTER_2 and if they change more times I go by CHARACTER_12 or something. But sometimes I write it like Character_4 then next time I accidentally write Character_ep5 and then CHARACTER_6e, so I basically never find what I’m looking for :sweat_smile:
I just checked, and I even have an outfit called Character_jeans, and I don’t have the faintest idea what I was thinking lol.

Also, I have a horrible memory, so to me it’s really hard to keep track without checking what everyone was wearing in the previous episodes. Lately I update once a month and I take breaks too, and even though I usually make new outfits for new episodes, last time I managed to create the exact same outfit I used two episodes ago :woman_facepalming:

My advice would be to think over what works for you the best, and unlike me, be consistent with it :smiley:

3 Likes

I usually keep numbers and letters:

I keep 2-3 outfits for a scene.
CHARACTER_01_A or CHARACTER_1A for scene A or 1A

1 Like

I find it is easier for me to write the Characters name and a word or two to describe the outfit and keep track of who the out fit belongs to.
for example :
for Layla
LAYLA_goodgirl_mint

or
for Tyler
TYLER_red

2 Likes