How Do You Make A Transition Come In While A Character Is Doing An Animation? EDIT: SOLVED

I have a scene that I need the character to already be scared when the transition cuts in, but I know from past experience that if you do it like this, it doesn’t work; (this is a discontinued story below)

INT. CLASSROOM FRONT - DAY
@MR SMITHAREL stands screen right AND MR SMITHAREL faces left AND MR SMITHAREL is arms_crossed_angry AND TALIA spot 1.280 175 -2 AND TALIA faces right AND TALIA is idle_awkward AND BRIDGET spot 1.280 36 -5 AND BRIDGET faces right and BRIDGET is eyeroll_subtle AND LIBERTY spot 1.280 102 -5 AND LIBERTY faces right AND LIBERTY is arms_crossed_angry
@transition fade in black 3
music music_backandforth
volume music 100 1000

MR SMITHAREL (talk_apathetic)
As you girls know, you all have obviously not been on your best behavior this week.

Since I have the girls doing animations before the transition, it cuts to the scene, shows them for a split second, then fades in black, and it looks really choppy.

What I want to know is how to fix this;

INT. BLACK - DAY
@AZURA stands screen center
@zoom on 160 377 to 142% in 0
@AZURA starts react_mortified
music music_spooky
volume music 75 3000

NARR (AZURA)
The moment I saw the school guards enter the room, I knew I had gone too far.

The transition works fine, and it isn’t choppy, but she’s obviously happy and cheerful/okay in the idle position BEFORE she starts the react_mortified animation. Please help!

Use the & sign instead of the @ sign

INT. CLASSROOM FRONT - DAY
&MR SMITHAREL stands screen right AND MR SMITHAREL faces left AND MR SMITHAREL is arms_crossed_angry AND TALIA spot 1.280 175 -2 AND TALIA faces right AND TALIA is idle_awkward AND BRIDGET spot 1.280 36 -5 AND BRIDGET faces right and BRIDGET is eyeroll_subtle AND LIBERTY spot 1.280 102 -5 AND LIBERTY faces right AND LIBERTY is arms_crossed_angry

3 Likes

Thank you! @Jeremy, please close this thread! :slight_smile:

Closed as per thread op request :peace_symbol: