How do you promote yourself at this stage?

I think most Episode writers would agree that it can be pretty hard to promote yourself when you first publish but there a few pretty standard things that usually help. Making friends within the community, being active in the forums, making an Instagram etc.

But how do you go on to further promote yourself or your story once you’ve built up a (small) initial fanbase and have all of those initial tactics still running. Are there any specific things you do that you find help to promote your story?

For example, on Instagram I used the new question feature to allow my followers to ask questions to my characters - something that many other users also did. This really seemed to help my story, which I noticed from the amount of website clicks I received after doing so.

But I dunno… I feel kind of in a rut with getting my story noticed further and I really don’t know how to go about th self-promotion thing. Any advice? What do/did/would you do??

Xx

I’m also struggling with promoting my story. Maybe try read 4 reads. I found some hidden gems that way. I also put in for story reviews on Instagram to different episodes groups.

Ooh thanks for the suggestions! I find read for reads pretty difficult because you can never guarantee that the other person will come through, that you’ll enjoy their story or that they’ll enjoy yours.

Reviews is a great idea though! Do you have any examples of accounts that do them?

Xx

I’m in the same boat as you are, so I would definitely love to support your story and hopefully you can support mine. What’s your’s about? I have two stories and I can tell you more if you are interested.

This is a good start right here. I notice most of the groups follow each other.
@epi.sass.squad
@episode.hearts
@epyarts
@epy.boost

Ahhhh thank you so much, I’ll check them out :blue_heart:

I’ll PM you Xx

I’ll read your story, no obligation. Just tell me what it is.
I do my best to help, besides, I love reading user stories x

Same for me. I think the best way is R4R…

@AJ_PELZER @Mehaslim2 ahh thank you guys so much, that’s so sweet of you! I’ll drop the details down below:

Name: Reformed
Author: Cordelia M
Genre: Mystery (/romance)
Description: Reformed bad girl falls for bad boy who reminds her of her past - cliché, right? But what if Violet isn’t truly reformed? What if she’s secretly still badder than Carter ever was?
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4696324662099968

No pressure but if you read it and you like it, feel free to message me here or on IG (@cordeliam.episode) or send fanmail to tell me what you thought!

Thanks again :blue_heart:

Ahaha just realised I don’t know if that’s what you were referring to when you said same, so obviously no pressure to check out the story. That’s beyond what I was expecting from this thread anyway Xx

I’ll start reading tonight

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy! :blue_heart:

Don’t worry I will check it anyway :wink::joy:

Ahah thanks so much! :kissing_heart: Well I hope you enjoy it Xx

To answer this part of your post… I don’t… 🤷
Probably not very helpful haha. Self promoting makes me very uncomfortable, so after I have that initial following, what I rely on is people binge reading my story so it goes higher in the ranks, so it will be higher up on the genre page, so that more new readers will see it. This is why I started publishing episodes in a group of 3-5 at a time.

If I look at my most recent story, I published 5 to start off with, and got almost 300 reads before I posted another 4 episodes a little over a month later. From people binge reading that, I took it to the top 100 and now currently has almost 1000 reads, so that means I did gain new readers from this, since it’s more than double the original number and I published one chapter less.

So I guess my advice is not to really promotor yourself, but publish episodes strategically :upside_down_face:

That is actually really helpful!! I never thought of doing it like that :thinking:

I mean I definitely don’t write fast enough to publish 4/5 episodes a month :joy: but focusing on getting a story to higher ranks is such a good way to gain new readers without loads of self-promotion - which, yes, is awkward as hell.

Thank you for the advice!

Xx

Lol neither do I! It’s been over a month, so I’ve slid back up the rankings, but it is worth it to sort of save up your episodes from time to time

Yeah I’ll have to keep that in mind and maybe try to get ahead so I can try strategical publishing. If not… it’s something I’ll try out for my next story!

Thank you.