How do you proofread?

Hello fellow writers!!
I have a question, that I have been thinking of and trying to find answers for a while now.
If you’re an author, and proofread you own story:
How do you do it?
I’m confused, do you read every single chapter and scene, and play out all the different routes from start to finish, or do you use “Navigation” to help you jump between the script, add or remove points.
I’ve also have been wondering, have authors even read their own story lol, yeah it’s a stupid question, but curious, have you read every chapter of your story?

Any feedback and/or tips are appreciated! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I personal do the first part (read every chapter, and do the different routes) by going through each scene and checking for any glitches or errors and i do it especially if im remebering past choices etc or using advanced directing/coding

Do you use point systems?
If so, then for choices using points, do you replay the story?

1 Like

In my past stories no i never used the point system

however im revamping one of my old stories and im using the point system for the first time i click restart story progress to make everything fresh since its just the first episode im getting done so far

1 Like

I am going through each and every possible route. For my story that is very important since there are a lot of branches and you can decide whether you want male, female or all LIs. If I were to mess up one of these branches by, for example, adding a romance point instead of a friendship point this could have big consequences in the future, since that one point could change a lot. This also helps me with my grammar and spelling, since english isn’t my native language and I can check everything that way.

2 Likes

Don’t you get bored re-reading the chapter multiple times?

1 Like

Yup, I go through it and make different choices and then I change it. Then, I play through it again until everything works perfectly. Usually, I also move each individual speech bubble where I want it as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my opinion, definitely. I hate re-reading and re-reading. But, it makes my chapters better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it does for me too!

Do you correct it? I’ve been trying to proofread my stories 1st chapter, it has points and flags, and I’m trying to find better and more efficient ways to read them

Y e s :sweat_smile: but i type fast and make many mistakes and it just gets messy

but after awhile i just grow accustom to it some times i’lll skip lines until i get to choices but most of the time im just welp here we go again

i guess it just because i want to direct it and make it as good as it can be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you also use the mobile previewer for spot directing?

1 Like

No, I spot direct everything on my laptop, but I preview everything on my phone multiple times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome! :slight_smile:
But what about authors who have stories where 1 chapter is 40 minutes!:exploding_head:
Do they read each branch too? Damnn

1 Like

Do you preview before you publish?

If you haven’t published yet, but plan to someday, would you?

I only have like 1 choice per episode that matters, so this doesn’t really apply to me, but yeah I can only imagine having to re-read 40 minute chapters. :slight_smile:

Since the story I wrote was for a contest, I previewed and changed things many times because I wanted it to be perfect. I would literally spend HOURS a day just working on it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I would just get a proofreader at that point lol

1 Like

Damn, that takes a lot of motivation!

1 Like

I correct as I read. So if I see that I messed up an animation, I immediately correct it. As for points and flags, if I add a point I always check it is the right branch.

3 Likes

they might have people help reveiw ive seen threads like those on the forums

but a friend of mine she’d spend dayyyyys on one chapter testing things (shes been writing the same book for about a month just got to chapter 2 yay XD) I offer to help her though when i can but she perfers to do it , but likes another eye incase she misses something thats not right since shes working with alot of overlays

2 Likes