How do you start your story?

Sooooo I need help on how you start the introduction of your stories! I feel I always do cliche ones or unoriginal and it feels super awkward, so I wanna hook the readers and make it interesting and new, but not overly dramatic either. Help

This will depend on what your story is about…

Fantasy/Adventure + a bit romance

1 Like

In introduction, we meet some of the characters (usually the main character), and the setting of the story is established. When you think of setting, think about ‘setting the table’. When you set a table, you lay out everything you need before you sit down to a meal. A story’s setting should provide all the background you need before the action of the story begins. Establishing a clear and vivid setting at the beginning is crucial to the reader’s understanding of everything that follows.

1 Like

It could be anything relating to establishing the setting, characters and tone for the story. Usually you’re not going to jump into the action right away, just start it with some normal aspect of the character’s life before the major change happens. Like for my story, the ‘hook’ of the story happens at the very end of the chapter, and everything else before it is setting the scene and leading up to it.

1 Like

Thank you so much, that was really helpful! I’d try that out.

That’s a really good idea, I never thought of that :smiling_face: Thanks!!

I don’t know if you already have an idea but here is what I would do to hook them in in the first moment.
I’d start the story somewhere at a very dramatic part or with the MC narrating something like “how did we come to this?” then says something like “well, let me tell you…” and then we go to how you want the story to begin. I hope that’s not to cliche. It could just be something simple. Or you could do like a short scene of what happened before the story starts. If it’s fantasy/adventure it could be a magical person running through the woods or something.
For my mystery story, I started it with a poem with the main villain narrating it. I don’t know if your story has a villain but I thought that could give you some inspiration.

2 Likes

If you are writing in the fantasy/adventure genre, you could give the reader a “look into the fututre” :slight_smile: Like, start your story with a scene which is set around the second act or the climax (however you want to call it).

Preferably, it should be a scene that features your protagonists and succinctly outlines the plot or problem. Allow me to use an example from one of my story ideas: The story is about an underground gang which fights organized crime and operates in secret. However, the story begins shortly after a coup has gone wrong and most of the gang members have been “eliminated” (not killed but caught by the enemy).

This slice of the future gives the reader a clear outlook of where the story is headed and (hopefully) piques his interest to learn how it all started and how the protagonist solves the problem after all.

2 Likes

That’s really cool and interesting! It also matches my plot actually, cuz the MC’s magical “power” is to see the future, and I’m making her see it in the form of “dreams”. Tysm for the awesome idea!

1 Like

Yes it does have a villian. I’d totally try that idea out, thank you :slight_smile: It might be cliche, but it’s good !

1 Like

You’re welcome! :innocent:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.