How do you tell the difference between a romance story and a story with a romantic subplot?

I’ve genuinely been trying to figure this out because I don’t want my story to be focused on romance and quite frankly, it isn’t…but it has romance. I’m trying to figure this out and properly put it in the correct drama but this has literally all of them :sob: if anyone can help it would be highly appreciated. :butterfly:

1 Like

Does the story go on because of the romance between the characters or there’s something else that keeps it going?

1 Like

see it’s like both :flushed: it’s cause for romance but also because they have to figure out this new mystery

1 Like

what’s the mystery? like what’s the mystery and how are the characters gonna meet and stuff?

1 Like

the guy saves her from a creeps that the first time they meet and the second time is at the park by accident. the mystery is who killed his parents and if the girls father is still alive.

ohhh ok gotcha

here’s a paragraph i copy and pasted from google, hopefully it’ll help:

Plot
For a romance, the relationship is the plot, and point, of the story. Ideally, there will be other entertaining events and subplots going on, but the central tension is based around the question: How will they get together? In a love story, there is a different story point and goal to be achieved–something besides love is at stake. The romantic relationship is a vehicle and/or complication to this story focus. Other relationships may be equally important to the main character. His or her growth and change is central, but the romantic relationship is part of that experience, not all of it.

1 Like

it kinda does but how do you determine if the romance is the main part of your story because mine is also a slow burn one. the MC and LI barely had their first kiss in the story in the 17th chapter…so does that make it the plot or is that something important along with many other important things :sob: sorry if this literally makes no sense

1 Like

no it does make sense and i understand the struggle lol

anyways, on each episode what does it focus more on? romance or the mystery? if it’s both, i’ll read more articles and send to you haha

1 Like

crying some is the mystery and some is just the romance…there’s alot of subplots here’s some from my story:
-the MC is a dancer and attends an academy for the arts in new york full ride (which is kinda the main point of the story)
-the LI is currently the Capo of a mafia deguised as a business and is moving up the ranks to becoming second in comannd
-his parents were murdered (kinda cliche and he joined the first small gang to make money for him and his little sister as well as find who killed them)
-MC has a dark past…mom’s dead, dad is “dead” her dad uses to abuse her alone with many other things…
AND TO WRAP IT ALL UP SHE HAS ASPERGER SYNDROME. (don’t wanna give too many spoilers)
so like in all of that :sob: is the romance the main plot…i don’t even know.

1 Like

wow so much going on my pea brain can’t handle it lol

anyways i think it could be another subplot or a story about two ppl finding eachother. what’s the description of it or did u not write it yet??

1 Like

gir- i havent wrote it yet because i’m still tryna figure what is the main point of this story

1 Like

wait can i PM you? i’m spilling too much of the story in public lol

1 Like

sure!

1 Like

It is so funny I found this thread because I’m honestly having the same issues trying to figure out the genre of my story…:thinking:

2 Likes

maybe i could help you out while i figure mine out lol so what’s it about?

1 Like

Would it be awful if I asked to join so @cecilia_do doesn’t have to repeat themselves because a chic could use some help. :see_no_evil:

I’ll give you both the run down on my story too, if you want. :eyes:

2 Likes

a romance story is the plot of the story, a romance sub plot is a side quest.

for it to be a sub plot means you are able to remove it from the story and its stil a story.

lets take a few famouse exampels

Harry Potter and his relationship with Cho Chang is a romantick sub plot, its nice, but if you remove it, it wont change the story.

where twilight is a supernatural romance, if you remove the romance part you no longer have a story

3 Likes

truuu this is a great example thank you! and harry potter stan here :relaxed:

2 Likes

nah i’ll add you!

1 Like

Well…maybe Twilight isn’t the best example, because of you remove the “romance” it becomes a Thriller about a stalker and the girl who eventually gets Stockholm. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes