How does Episode determine your story ranking?

is your rank determined by the number of reads? or by reader retention? or a combo of things? because every time i check on my story it jumps around a lot, sometimes itll be close to the top 1,000 in the genre and sometimes it will be like 30,000. I updated it today and its around 49,000. if the rank due to reader retention, is it lower now because the new chapters havent been read so it brought the retention down? i just want to understand because the number seems pretty arbitrary when it jumps around so much.

edit: maybe im reading it wrong? i was paying attention to the second number

2 Likes

If you get reads fast the rank Will lower But if you start getting reads slower again it Will become higher again. (With lower I mean for example go from 5000 to 2000)

3 Likes

Your rank is determined by the reads you get within a certain amount of time. For example if you have 2 stories and you get 20 reads on story A and 30 reads on story B within the next 4 hours, story B will have a higher rank regardless your overall reads.
However I think that something is wrong with your ranks because trending user story rank is your overall rank, so your rank in the romance genre cannot be worse than that. Maybe you could submit a ticket to check why this is happening.

5 Likes

ahh that would make sense. no wonder i felt like the numbers were lying to me and i was confused lol. i checked again and now the first number is huge. this is probably more accurate? i might still submit a ticket if its inaccurate again. do you know where to do that?

1 Like

ah so its basically like popularity at the moment. good to know.

1 Like

Yes, this definitely looks more accurate. I understand you got confused, these are pretty big jumps :thinking: Weird.

You can submit a ticket here:
https://pocketgems.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?mobile_site=true

3 Likes

thank you for the link!

1 Like

The Episode Explains sub forum more than likely has answers to your questions. Hope this helps :smiley:

1 Like