How important are reads to you?

I know some people think reads define their stories worth while others think reads means nothing.

I want to know, how important is the number of reads you have to you?

I feel like they matter to an extent. By putting a story out there I am doing it partially because I feel others would like and enjoy it and by seeing those reads that shows that I am doing as I hoped.

9 Likes

I dont write for the reads. but I get super happy when i get reads there are not from an r4r

7 Likes

The amount of reads isnt important to me, I just want to write stories and just want it to be notice as a small author. Im writing for fun and it really is good. :heart:

7 Likes

The amount of reads doesn’t define the quality of a story. I haven’t published a story (yet lol), but daily I found stories that are worth reading and they aren’t very popular. If a story is successful, sooner or later, their writer’s work will be noticed. That’s my opinion. :smile:

9 Likes

I agree reads don’t show the worth of a story at all! Some books with a high reader count aren’t very good while some with a low reader count are great (not saying thats always how it works though).

6 Likes

Well, I’m happy to get reads, of course. But getting feedback means a lot more to me, because without that I can’t be sure if people actually like my stories or not. I would rather have a small amount of readers who really enjoy my stories, than a lot of readers who give them a chance, but stop half way.

As a reader, I prefer to read less popular stories, because no, I absolutely don’t think that reads determine how good a story is. There are actually a lot of gems out there.

12 Likes

I used to care less about reads, but now I care a little more, but its mostly because I want each one of my stories to be liked as much or more than my last story.

So I don’t so much compare my story reads to other people’s stories, but I compare them to my own stories.

7 Likes

I agree with the feedback and I wish I’d get some that was constructive feedback instead of I love it or I hate it.
I can take reads as “I like your story” but I want to know what I can do to make it better in the future.

3 Likes

To be honest, when I click a story, I do check the reads. Not because I believe stories with more reads are more important, cause that just isn’t true cough the trending section cough. I guess I just check the reads out of interest.

To me personally, I guess I kinda care about reads? It can be disheartening when you’ve put a lot of time and care into a story and next to no one is reading it. But I guess I care more about comments? It brightens my day when someone sends fanmail, it feels more personal rather than a number.

5 Likes

I’m not gonna complain about lots of reads, but I don’t write just to get reads, so I’m not bothered when they dry up a bit.

2 Likes

I think reads are important because it shows that people actually are engaging with your story and they want to see what comes next. I would want a lot of reads because it shows that people like my story. Of course there are a lot of good stories that don’t have a lot of reads though so maybe it just comes down to promotion

4 Likes

But it also depends what u think is a lot of reads.
If 100 people read 10 chapters, that’s only 1,000 reads.
But that’s also 100 people reading! That’s so awesome!

2 Likes

Yes that is very true as well. I just feel like having a lot of story views shows that you have a lot of people reading your story.

2 Likes

Reads aren’t important to me, but readers are

15 Likes

They are the most important thing for me.

Ahaha… jk :flushed: I like having a consistent base of readers than momentary fame ahaha… unless :thinking: :flushed:

4 Likes

^^This. 100 read for reads could get you 200 reads (assuming you have 3 chapters and the third one isn’t counted), but those aren’t readers because those people will likely never continue. They’re basically fake reads or reads you “paid” for by reading someone else’s story.
I’d rather have 100 people naturally read my story than “pay” 1000 people.

But are reads important to me? Yeah, I’d be lying if I said they weren’t at all. It’s nice seeing the number go up, especially when you update. I don’t compare my reads to other peoples, but I compare them to my own. I know generally how my past stories have done, so I’ll compare the growth of a new story to my previous ones.

6 Likes

I think I’m half and half. I don’t write for reads, I write because it’s honestly my favorite thing to do. But I definitely think having more reads gives me the motivation to continue! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, so writing for fun is great, and I love coming up with story plots and stuff, but then there are no reads and I’m thinking like “Wow, nobody even likes this story, why did I think it was good enough to publish?” I just thinking my writing is utter sh*t now because I’m basing its worth off of number of reads compared to the episode “originals” which aren’t even original at all.

2 Likes

Like @leahmarley When it came to reads I did feel like my story was trash when I “paid” for 50 reads and only accumulated 300 reads. What really kept me up was the positive fan mail I received. And like @EliseC said it;'s the readers that do it for me, but most importantly, doing it because you really want to tell the story you’ve mapped out for so long, And besides, unloyal or runaway readers ruin your retention regardless so that’s another pro for having faithful readers.If episode posted retention like a rating, opinions would change.

3 Likes

Reads aren’t super important to me. But I like the feeling of knowing that someone has read my story, and has enjoyed it as much as I have. :slight_smile:

7 Likes