How important is Grammar?

So I decided to get community’s POV on this topic. A lot of people say Grammar is important but no one really knows where line is crossed. I’ve come up with 3 types of grammar.

Correct one:

This grammar is correct. It is easy to read and has little to no mistakes. It is achievable for a native speaker or a foreign user getting proofreader.

Incorrect but readable:

This grammar has some mistakes. But it isn’t unbearable, reader can still read it unless they want a correct, perfect grammar.

Bad one:

This grammar often has mistakes outside of grammar, such as spelling or punctuation. It is often assumed that writer is young, foreign, trolling.

Which one do you tolerate?

• Correct grammar.
  • Incorrect but readable grammar.
  • Grammar full of mistakes, but still readable at a point.

0 voters

Please state your opinions about which one you tolerate! It is very important :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I voted incorrect but readable, but I guess I can tolerate it if it’s full of mistakes, I just probably wouldn’t enjoy it as much because I’d be distracted by all the errors

5 Likes

We have multiple choice options :smirk:

Same for me, usually spelling can be fixed with typing the word to Google and punctuation has some basic rules. It doesn’t hurt to look up but it is okay if the author doesn’t want to.

3 Likes

I tolerate correct grammar, but then again if there are a little mistakes I wouldn’t mind that much.

2 Likes

Oh god, one of my favorite topics to talk about. :laughing: For me, grammar is SUPER important because it means to me that you are professional and you are the person that cares when it comes to that. If it is like 1-3 errors, I am fine. But, anything that is really excessive or becomes repetitive, I just give up on it. Yes, I’m a picky reader. I’m sorry.

(Oh oof, Spelling mistakes. My bad.)

4 Likes

Yeah, I understand. It’s not always the case of professionalism though :sweat_smile: But I respect your opinion. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you know that ghouls eat people who vote on poll but don’t comment? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Although I do prefer it, I don’t mind reading stories that lack perfect grammar - what truly matters (to me) is the plot. The only time I’ll flat out stop reading something is when periods or question marks or anything that completes a sentence aren’t used. Drives me insane :grimacing:

4 Likes

:see_no_evil:

To me grammar is pretty important, but I don’t mind a few errors every now and then. I selected “correct grammar” and “incorrect but readable” but if nearly every line was incorrect but readable, I’d probably be exiting that story pretty quickly.

6 Likes

i like correct grammar. sometimes theres a few mistakes. but if they’re constant mistakes, then we gotta a problem

I agree with you whole-heartedly.
These days grammar is dying, and the general media and social media are the main cause of this (especially with journalism). There is a very high percentage of native English speakers who don’t even know how to use grammar correctly. It pains me to see this, and that’s why I think grammar is important.
It is so important that I actually started a thread a few days ago, “Caliope-checker”, to help authors with proofreading if they want/need it. :wink:

4 Likes

Grammar is extremely important. I stop reading stories if the grammar is really bad.

1 Like

The amount of people that write your when they mean you’re. I can’t deal :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I can see who’s voting

Did yall miss this >:(

2 Likes

Bring out the tags :smirk:

1 Like

Should I? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I do this, sometimes I check full sentences in quotation marks in Google :smiley: Yet I’m sure I still make plenty of mistakes and I often notice them only after publishing even though I preview every episode multiple times. I’m just that blind…
I voted incorrect but readable (and I hope my stories fall into this category), grammar is important to me but yeah, it is not easy for non-native speakers. To be honest I usually stop reading stories full of grammar mistakes because it distracts me pretty much plus I noticed some correlation between bad grammar and bad writing: I have the feeling that authors who don’t care about grammar, don’t really write enjoyable stories either. At least that’s my experience.

3 Likes

I cannot stand stories with incorrect grammar. An occasional mistake is fine, but if I read the first chapter and there are spelling and grammar mistakes littered in it, I will not read further. It completely baffles me how stories with poor grammar and spelling become popular; it makes me highly annoyed and also puts me off writing, because why the hell should I bother making my story good if another’s story with errors everywhere is held up on a pedestal? Even Episode official writers have this problem, and it’s exhausting.

1 Like

I’m pretty much used to seeing incorrect grammar in words , so it doesn’t really bother me. What bothers me is when I have to read a line several times to get what it means !!! It’s usually the tenses that I get mad about or where they put the words that makes no sense at all!!!

I agree with you a hundred percent! :100::100::100: