How long do you like Episodes to be?

I’m currently creating a fantasy story and I thought creating this discussion would help me as well as others who stumble across it!

Personally, I like episodes to be around 10-15 minutes. 5 minutes is quite short, and to be completely honest does feel like a waste of passes. I wanted people’s detailed opinions (which is why this isn’t a poll!)

My first episode is around 10 minutes (it depends on how long a person will spend customising the MC, which I’d say takes people around 2-3 minutes depending on how picky they are). I’m not sure how long first episodes should be, but playing Episode’s own stories and community ones, they tend to be around 5-8 minutes, but mostly less. Do any of you think this is okay, acceptable etc. ? Personally (again, LOL) it feels quite short but I imagine is easy to getaway with as the first episode doesn’t use a pass. But it’s also a very important episode, because it introduces you to the characters, world and hooks the reader in to actually spend their passes.

Anywho, let me know your opinions as it would be greatly appreciated!

TLDR: My episodes are 10-15 minutes, I don’t agree with 5 minute long episodes + I want your guys’ opinions!

7 Likes

I like episodes to be 10-15 minutes, I hate episode that are 5 minutes beacuse it’s just makes the story boring, of the episode are 5 mintues long.

5 Likes

Yup 10-15 mins is perfect. Anything less feels wasteful, while anything more feels boring and stretched out.

4 Likes

I personally prefer 10-15 minutes for drama/romance/mystery/fantasy stories.

I find that comedy stories can get away with shorter episodes (like 8-9 minutes) since they tend to jump right into the action and be free of narration.

4 Likes

Completely agree! Mine is sort of a mesh of comedy and fantasy.

3 Likes

I think you’re okay then. It doesn’t seem abnormal to have a slightly shorter first episode in my opinion, but even then I wouldn’t consider 10 minutes to be “too short”.

3 Likes

I agree, for me 10-15 minutes is good, 5 is too short. 20 for me is a bit long and any more than 25 is way to long, this is not including breaks of course. I like a good 10-15 minute read that is short but also when I want I break from something I know that it will be good.

3 Likes

That’s honestly so heart-warming to hear! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I try to do both quality while having a large quantity because it does annoy me when there are lots of mistakes (things moving wrong, animations not being right, fades being all wrong). I go back editing my episodes all the time fixing small errors like that. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

But that might just be because I don’t like sitting and reading for a long time, good or bad it gets bit dull if it’s for a long time.

3 Likes

:100:
Agreed

3 Likes

It’s perfect! I think most of the readers prefer 10-15 min because it is not too long, but then again it isn’t too short either. For example I don’t really like 5 min chapters because I feel like I am kinda “wasting” passes if that makes sense, I am not saying short-chaptered stories can’t be good, but I would always rather give a chance to the story with longer ones. But then again stories with more than 20 min chapters are just too long and it can become too much very quickly to the point where I am just wishing for it to end already. So I think that your choice of going with 10-15 minutes is excellent :blush:

4 Likes

10-15

2 Likes

I like 10-12 minutes. I don’t have the attention for anything longer tbh. Plus less to code. I did this r4r once and it was 20 minutes long for 10 chapters and I was DYING.

4 Likes

Oh dear, did the author accept your constructive criticism on their story?

2 Likes

My personal preference is 10-20 minutes.
5 minutes feel indeed as a waste of your pass, and chapters that are about 30+ minutes can bore me, even if I really like the story.

3 Likes

Honest question, how do y’all time how long your stories take to read? Like I’m an extremely fast reader and most episodes take me 10 min tops to read (depending on overlays and advanced directing).

2 Likes

between 8-15 min i wont read longer for me the shorter the better

1 Like

My personal preference is 20-25 minutes. :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I just said it was a bit long and that’s it.

1 Like

Ok