How many chapters should a story have?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here!
I’m currently in the process of writing my first story. I was originally aiming for about 15 chapters, but I feel like I have to spread out the plot so thin by doing that it essentially ruins the story.
Thing is - chapters are not short as I don’t want people to feel like they’re wasting tickets. They’re anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 (much longer than that can be boring imo).
I’ve noticed a lot of the more professional authors have super short chapters, which I don’t want to do. One story took me less than 1 day to read in full because the chapters were so short.
So question is - is it okay to have a shorter story, but more involved chapters? How many chapters SHOULD a story have?

1 Like

As much as your story requires. Well technically Episode requires a minimum of 3 chapters.

3 Likes

thanks! :hearts:

1 Like

i prefer long ones with about 40 to 60 chapters and that take from 10 to 20 min to read

3 Likes

I prefer to read shorter chapters than longer ones. But it depends on how you develop your plot.

3 Likes

Makes sense, I like those too but I think the plot really changes how many chapters are needed!

Absolutely true :ok_hand:

Absolutely.

There is no set limit, if your story pans out well with only 5 chapters, then 5 it is. If it suits 10, then 10. There will always be people who like short stories and people who prefer longer ones, but the main thing is, you should write what you like and how you envision (within guidelines ofc), so whatever length is best for your story is what you should go with! :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, my friend! That helps :two_hearts:

1 Like

No worries! And good luck with your story + welcome to the community. :blush:

1 Like