How many episodes per story?

Hey,
I’ve just published the first 3 chapters of my story but I was wondering how many episodes people think there should be per story? I’ve seen some finished by the 21st chapter and others still going strong at 50-60 chapters long. I’d just like to know what people would be happy with as there is a significant twist in my story but I don’t want to bring it into the story too soon if people are expecting quite a few chapters.

Many thanks!

I like when there are 35-42 chapters per story

Depends on the plot and whether its there, but I like to start a story that has at least 15 episode +, with more episodes coming soon.

I really like short stories with only a few chapters, but I’m also fine with 20-30 episodes. I usually start losing interest after the 40th chapter and no matter how good a story was, I always stopped reading it when it went above 50.

It depends on the plot and whether or not you’re dragging the story on. There are a few stories that I’ve had to stop reading because they kept going on and on and on and on and on and on… you get my point lol. As long as you’re not beating a dead horse and your chapters are still enjoyable, I think you’ll be fine. :blush:

I agree

Thank you all for the replies! I’ll work towards around 25-30 then :slight_smile:

Depends on the story.
Some start dragging after 20 or so episodes.
There are also some stories that are long, but keep your heart racing even after 70, 80, 90 Episodes.
It depends on the story and the author.

I prefer 20-30 episodes :gift:

Topic moved to Episode Fan Community. :smiley:

Some stories seem to wind down at less than 10 chapters but some are designed for a lot more. I know that is not really helpful, but my point is that it depends on the story. I don’t mind stories that have a lot of chapters, if there is a lot to say.

I think it really depends on what type of story it is… Like, if it is comedy or something, I feel like it would get boring after like 20 episodes (just my opinion lol). But, if it is like drama or something and there are a lot of secrets that need to be uncovered, then I think I would prefer it to be longer…

I don’t start stories that are already longer than 20 episodes. However, I’d say go for plot, not length. Stick with however many episodes you need to round out and complete your plot, no more and no less. When people aim for a minimum length, they tend to fill their stories with unnecessary filler and it ruins the pacing.

Thank you, that was what I was afraid of doing; aiming for a set number of episodes but having to make ‘filler’ episodes just to reach a certain length. I’ll go with quality rather than quantity :slight_smile:
By the way, I love your username!

I red a story and it was 60 episodes it’s called Deep desire

Lol, so this thread is nearly a few months old, but it’ll give you my opinion anyway :yum:
I prefer stories that are around 20-30 chapters long. I have read stories with about 50 episodes where it made sense that the story was so long, but there are also stories with more than 50 chapters and more to come that should’ve ended long ago.
If you feel like you’re starting to drag the story out, I think it’d be better for you to just get to the point, even if your story ends up only having 10-15 episodes then.

I have quite a few stories planned, but I’ll share how many episodes I plan for them to have below

My Stories // Planned Amount of Episodes

These stories are listed in OOU, or Order of Urgency. The top stories are planned to come out first while the bottom stories are planned to come out last. :heart:

• Gray Skies // 35 Episodes
  • Shadows Before Dawn // 26 Episodes
  • Storm After Dawn // 30 Episodes
  • Short Story: Star’s Apology - YouTube Exclusive // 5 Episodes
  • The Daylight Souls // 50 Episodes Per Book
  • Faraway Friends // 20 Episodes

To me, it depends which type of story it is. A story’s length depends on all kinds of factors. I try to make my episodes last at least 20-30 minutes, unless it’s a special chapter (listed below), then make those around 5-15 minutes.

What I Consider Special Chapters
  • Q&As
  • Truth or Dares
  • Prologues / Pilots
  • Epilogues

One factor that plays into story length is experience. You have to know how to keep readers drawn to the story if you want them to read over 40 Episodes. If the story has bad directing, unappealing grammar mistakes, or a drawn out or stupid plot, then the readers won’t want to read more than 30 chapters at most. That’s just a little tip for ya.

Basically, like most other people said. Go for the plot; quality rather than quantity; don’t drag on the story for longer than it needs to be. :heart: