How many lines is good for a chapter?

hii! i’m just wondering what peoples preferences are for how long a chapter/episode should be. like how many lines of code there should be without customization. right now my chapter is about 700 without customization, and idk if its too little. i’m also not done this chapter, and will probably add another 1000 lines. so basically is 1700 lines of code and dialogue too much or too little in ur opinion?
:slight_smile: thank u, soph josie <3

1 Like

hi!
personally I wouldn’t look much at how many lines an episode has, because it can depend on many factors (if you skip lines, if you put different commands together or on different lines, how much directing you use), but instead try previewing the episode, play it and see how long it takes for you to play it

having said that, I prefer episodes around 10 minutes (or less), but I am aware that this is an unpopular opinion

3 Likes

Ten minutes is a good amount of play time but anything above 20 minutes makes most readers lose attention. Also you shouldn’t judge by lines. Lines vary from author to author but a good 1000- 1500 is considered what you should have at least. But it depends on how advanced your directing is. And it also depends on your reading speed and how much they are getting for the pass they use to read. If it is ten minutes of absolute cr*p to make it fit a ten minute slot then it really is not worth it. I would make a varied amount of people read it who you think will give you honest feedback.

3 Likes

So, lines of code don’t always represent how long a chapter / episode will be. My entire chapters are about 42,000-50,000 lines of code… but they usually have a 20-25 minute play through. I think your best bet at determining whether your chapter is long enough or not is to preview the chapter with a timer running and read the chapter as if it were your first time reading it. Without advanced directing, complex branching, mini-games, etc. a good base line would be to have 2000 lines of code. However, when adding branching, mini-games, advanced directing of characters and overlays, you’ll need to look past lines of code.

Also, side note: I’d stay away from chapters that are less than 10 minutes long. Many people I’ve spoken to find that chapters that are shorter than 10 minutes feel like a waste of a pass… But also don’t go overboard and create 40 minute chapters lol

3 Likes

It depends how much advanced directing you use and whether you put spaces between the lines or not… try timing how long it takes to read a chapter. Aim for about 10-15 minutes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.