How Many Lines of Code is your Chapter?

It all depends on the content of your story, and how you code.
My code looks like chicken scratch to most people because I don’t use any spaces, and I combine actions together on the same line.
For me, an unbranched story, you’re looking at about 1500 lines without spaces.
For branching, you have to look at how much per branch. I have some chapters that have 20k plus lines of coding, but others that only have 5-6k lines.
Don’t rely heavily on your line count, but rather timing a read through.
In general, readers prefer Episodes between 10-15 minutes in length. That’s long enough that they don’t feel like they’re wasting a pass, but short enough that they can read a chapter in one “restroom break”.

6 Likes

Oh I never thought about spaces…
I barely ever put spaces though

2 Likes

Yeah, I tend to group the actions of one collective movement in a line. I tend not to plan a lot, so I try to aim for 10-15 scenes a chapter, depending on what the previous chapter was. I have another story that’s on hold for now, but the first chapter has 2.5k lines, but I used a lot of spaces so is only 9.5 mins. The second chapter is half-way finished an so far 783 lines.

1 Like

I put spaces when I’m sectioning different parts hehe

If there’s a clump of overlays and character movements I put a space under that to say that’s for “this”
does that make sense?

like if there’s a bunch of people in a hallway and there’s 20-40 lines of just coding for that I’ll put a space separating it so I know this is all the characters in a cluster of words :skull:

1 Like

I usually do background characters + beginning scene formatting in one section, MC’s and animations in another, and overlays in another. My script looks like a sandwich. :joy:

1 Like

I usually only put spaces in between different scenes that are separated by transitions.

2 Likes

If you tilt your head to the left my script kind looks like the top of a cave-
Like the spiky things you see in movies-

1 Like

Yes. I’ve seen those things. Mine kind of looks like a giraffe…

1 Like

Mine looks like words

I’m so creative

1 Like

Ya know… mine does too…
Wait- I just had a brilliant idea… MINI-GAME!!!

Yeah, I just drank a cup of coffee…

1 Like

Coffee activates hidden braincells

YES MINIGAME!
Sounds fun-
I personally don’t do minigames- I’m too lazy to code that extra stuff and I don’t wanna create unnecessary overlays that make me rage when I do it wrong :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Meh- I can just do what she will have for lunch. :woman_shrugging:
Now the big question is… pizza dun, dun, DUN or bagel…

How are you supposed to choose between the two???!?!?!??!!? :tired_face:

1 Like

I know! Now… on to tappable overlays… my life is so hard

1 Like

Ah, yes.
Tappables are annoying :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I tried it once and previewing and fixing was so annoying and I’ve decided never again

1 Like

Haha, easy trick… code one now, and one tomorrow. It’s weird… but it works…

1 Like

lmaooo yes whatever floats your rubber duck

1 Like

For me 4k to 8k lines is one chapter for me!! Excluding CC and intro/outro splashes.

2 Likes

Wow! I could never write that many.

1 Like