How many lines of code should a chapter be?

hey there, i’m via! i’ve been working on my first episode story, & ive been wondering how many lines of code an average chapter should be. i’ve heard it’s about 3000, but what are your thoughts?

7 Likes

I usually make my chapters, about 7,000 lines but I think the deeper you get into writing it should become longer. Follow me on Instagram @dandy.writes :kiss: I’ll review your story if you’d like and support you :sparkles:

5 Likes

oof- i cant go past 2000 w/o CC :joy:.

mines are usually 1000-1500 w/o CC with advanced directing and OLs

lines aren’t a good measure of story length 3000
might be due to branching/ a lot of choices/ very advanced directing/ etc sometimes they have an empty line per code to make everything clear :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

1600-2000 is an appropriate amount I’d say
Not too long and not too short

4 Likes

@dandy.writes 7000 :sob: girl i admire your dedication, i could never. also, we’re on a gc together on instagram, so i already know you lol

@Youngbl00d ooh, that’s the amount i’m at rn w/o CC. how long do you think an episode should be in minutes?

@LilM.episode okay, thanks! i’m at the amount rn w/o CC. how long do you think it should be in minutes?

thank you all for your responses! <3

5 Likes

i’m not the best answer for episode chapter length :joy: i prefer shorter chapters that are about 5-10 minutes line but most people prefer 10-20 minutes i believe how we you shouldn’t let that stress you since…welp i tried making mine longer and it was hot garbage :joy: just do whatever length makes the story flow well :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey, I’d stick with 1000-1500 as that is the length of a ten minute episode. Do what suits you and try to develop it as you start to feel more comfortable with your length. :upside_down_face::heart:

2 Likes

not to bash u or anything but my story is about that length in code and it’s only 6 minutes long :see_no_evil: however, in terms of non heavy usage of directing/OLs and mainly dialouge, that’s seems about right

1 Like

I go to the 10-15 minute for my story, so about 2500 lines for me🤷‍♀️ But do whatever flows and works best for you!

1 Like

From the stories I’ve written (Chapters are about 10-15 minutes):

One has advanced directing - it’s a lot of overlays lmao and it usually has about 2500 lines per chapter, with just one LI

The other one has 2 LIs (gender options) but has simpler directing and is about 3500 - 4200 lines each chapter.

That’s for chapters without CC but also, I do code with a lot of spaces in between so there’s that to take into account :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

LL- 2500-5000+
Ink - around 10,000-15,000
(confirmed numbers from authors)

2 Likes

I think around 2000 is best. That’s probably around 15 minutes :))

Mine nowadays end up being 3000+ though because I just have so much stuff I wanna add in :see_no_evil: some chapters turn out to be about half an hour in length. I wouldn’t recommend doing that though unless you want to burn yourself out, but then again if you like writing and reading longer stuff then that could work for you. It just takes a lottt longer to do it that way lol.

3 Likes

My first chapter is around 3000 lines (excluding CC) and my second is about 5500 (excluding CC) because there’s a huge minigame and female/male LI and this is after cutting a bunch of stuff out of both chapters

It’s better to measure chapters in minutes tho. Most people like 10-15 minute chapters, but I prefer long chapters: 15-30 minutes.

Hope this helped! :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Mine is ten minutes without CC and zooms. I was mainly referring to the dialogue. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I came from 1,300 to 10,000 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: but usually, my goal is 1,000+ then i see when i have to finsih the chapter from the plot, if i want to end it on a cliffchanger, or just end it normal :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::icecream:

1 Like

Umm reading this makes me feel :sparkles: d i f f e r e n t :sparkles:

Jus me over here with 20k+ lines :eyes:

6 Likes

Um, my chapters are around 4,000 - 8,000 but I add an empty line after every line
:star_struck:

3 Likes

Depends on how much spaces are there… I don’t like soaces so I’m about 1000 ish (pretty short huh)

1 Like

This makes me sweat, but if you have F/M MC more gender choice for LIs and advanced directing, it makes sense…

3 Likes

Yep lmao I have all those :flushed:

3 Likes