How many lines should be in one episode?

Hello! I’m writing my story and I want to know how many lines would you prefer? I know that 2200+ are too much, so where is a golden middle?

3 Likes

It depends on how much branching you do

4 Likes

1500, maybe if u are going that long but it all depends on your branching.

2 Likes

Maybe try measuring the story length in minutes! It’s a lot more accurate.

6 Likes

Start a google timer and go through your episode, 10-15 minutes should be enough :smile:

2 Likes

Depends on the branching and how much you’re using for coding. Overlays can play a role as an example. If there’s no branching, like in my story, then around 2000 lines is at minimum of 15 minutes depending on how fast you read

2 Likes

Some authors do a lot of branching, or some even none, and they do up at 20k lines

2 Likes

depends on a) the branching, b) the level of directing and your directing style, and c) whether you use (m)any spaces in your script.

as @AnnSza said, measure a chapter in minutes. to do that, screen record and read through your chapter at a normal speed, then stop recording and see how long the video recording is. a preferred length in the community is between 10 and 20 minutes of reading time.

4 Likes

There are many factors that affects length of one episode. Branching, storyline, directing etc.
Mine is about 1200-1700 lines - without branching, my story doesn’t have choices, except hair and clothes. Also depends on what I want to show in that specific episode. I submitted my story to Episode Luxe Team for review and in the review is said that one episode of mine is about 15-20 long. Guess, that’s okay? :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

The line limit is about 40k I believe. I really don’t think you should think about lines when considering the length of your chapter but time instead.

The most widely accepted time is 8-12 minutes of reading time. The number lines doesn’t matter at this, that depends on your story as lines go into coding which includes dialogue script, advanced directing, spot directing, CC templates, branching etc. So I would advise you to not look at “lines” but instead write your chapter and time it while test reading.

7 Likes

Like @lanafrazer_episode says, you should measure the time lengt instead of the lines.
I always read my chapter when? I’m done to make sure the chapters is 10 minutes without the bonus scenes.
Depending on how many choices/branches and even backgrounds I use, The amount of lines varies quite a bit.

3 Likes

My directing varies a lot due to branching and overlays. but if you’re looking for a rough outline for each chapter - I try to keep it to around 7 scenes that are 2-3 minutes each.

3 Likes

It depends cause coding takes a lot of lines. I have like 3000 lines and the episode is still 3 minutes long

It really comes down to how many branches you do and where they come back together- whether or not you’re doing advanced directing- choices and templates etc.

You should aim to, at minimum, have 400 lines of dialogue. The other coding will make it way longer but the dialogue is what determines most of how long an episode is. For example- I have 3000+ lines in an episode that times to about 16-17 minute episode.

Usually I end up with 2500 after adding in customization (limited CC of one character, so about 1200 lines). I also take into account choices and branching, so I think that would make my first chapter is about 700-800 lines long (which is about 8.5 minutes). If you want to lengthen that without changing anything you can just add more dialogue in conversations. I never complain about more dialogue between characters as long as there’s a point to it and it’s not just aimless talking.

I try to stick to 6-7 scenes as well and make them 2-3 minutes (sometimes it’s more like 1 minute :flushed:), which for my story translates to about 150-200 lines per scene.

2 Likes