How offensive can it be?

You won’t know my story if you view the author or others that don’t see this thread, but when of my background characters says in her thoughts

“I don’t speak this taco language.” as a joke and everyone else in the class can fluently. It’s just a small line and I get the whole If you have to ask then don’t say it thing, but my humor has all types of ranges so. yeah.

In future I want to do a scene with a female that has a strong relationship with a male character of different races where they decapitate the sh*t out oif each other, but it’s always in occurrence to what happens in the story.

Like if a character has a bad tan and the female starts roasting him…pun intended.

You should err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this. Putting out a potentially offensive/racist joke and then dismissing why it might be wrong by saying that your “humor has all types of ranges” is definitely not the way to go.

It would be in your best interest to just abide by the “If you have to ask, then chances are it’s offensive” rule. Like you said, it’s a small line, so it shouldn’t be a big deal to not include it. There have been authors that have written what probably seemed like harmless jokes only to get loads of backlash from readers. So if you want to avoid that, it would be smart to get away from your how-offensive-can-it be mindset.

^ And yeah…this probably won’t bode well with Episode’s guidelines. That’s pretty gory stuff there!

2 Likes

I ended up doing,

“I don’t speak Taco; I speak Baguette.” So it’s sort of self-decapitating. So it seems that’s just how that character is then just her being offensive.

for the second quote It’s an expression not literal.

I’m not using “my humor has ranges” as an excuse though. Just some audience of mature and young may like thus humor and have no problem with it while another may.