How realistic are high school stories?

How realistic do you find episode stories set in high school? Does your school have the stereotypical episode cliches, e.g. nerds falling for bad boys, a trio of blonde queen bees, social outcasts becoming popular with a makeover, etc? Is there a social hierarchy? Would the outfits in episode stories go against your school dress code? Do the students throw huge parties where lots of drama occur?
Feel free to use the replies in this thread to help you write a realistic highschool story.

My Answer
In my school, there’s definitely a social hierarchy, with the popular kids at the top, who are more outgoing, with a lot of trendy hobbies, while the kids with rather niche interests and unusual pastimes are lower down. However, there aren’t really any social outcasts, everyone has a group of friends they fit into. The popular kids aren’t blonde, girly, and stupid. Some are tomboys, sporty, and overachievers. There aren’t any "queen bee"s or "most popular girls in school"s, who like to bully everyone else for no reason. While there are some bullies, they’re more subtle with bullying, and they don’t say things like: ‘You’re a worthless nerdy freak who wishes to fit in with us normal people’, or anything else these bullies say in episode.
No cliche bad boys either. No boys at all, since I go to an all-girls school. There are some edgy and rebellious kids though, but they aren’t assholes to everyone else because they feel like it.

2 Likes

How realistic do you find episode stories set in high school?
I don’t read a lot of them, but usually stories/movies/tv shows set in high school are not realistic.

Does your school have the stereotypical episode cliches, e.g. nerds falling for bad boys, a trio of blonde queen bees, social outcasts becoming popular with a makeover, etc?
Of course there is the standard popular people, but there isn’t a trio of blondes. Popular people in my school are usually a big bunch of Hispanics. But they have different friend groups. :woman_shrugging: Nerds probably fall for bad boys, but there isn’t a standard ‘bad boy’ and a standard ‘nerd’ irl. Not the way episode stories depicts them
 At my school social outcasts don’t become popular. You can certainly be friends with the popular kids
 But I won’t consider you popular.

Is there a social hierarchy?
Once again of course there are popular people, but otherwise I would say no.

Would the outfits in episode stories go against your school dress code?
Yes.

Do the students throw huge parties where lots of drama occur?*
Big parties? I’m not sure. Small parties? Probably. Parties in general? Not sure, but probably. Probably the upper classmen
 If they have time. Drama? Of course there is drama, there was a fight at my school last week. (aka first full week/second week of school.)

2 Likes

I think the high school stories aren’t very realistic but if it were it would probably be boring lol.

Hmm. Back when I was in high school (I’m in college now), there popular people at school were nice, outgoing, and well-rounded. My school is primarily Asian since I live in Hawaii, so the popular kids were Asian. Based on what I’ve seen, there wasn’t really any bullying in our school but I think I was just lucky since I’ve heard that other school’s in the island had bullies for sure There was just a whole “don’t mess with us and we won’t mess with you” mentality here so people were pretty alright and got along just fine as long as you weren’t an asshole.

As for “bad boys,” I mean I guess there were those but they just weren’t really at school and if they were at school they were just 
 There. I don’t know, I never paid attention to them.

I can think of a bad boy cliche-ish type of love story type of thing that happened at my school kind of. This girl in my grade, not nerdy but well-rounded, kind of popular, really nice, good grades, friendly ended up dating someone that kind of fits into the bad boy stereotype but like she changed throughout the relationship 
 Started hanging out with differrent people that weren’t exactly the best crowd, started drinking and smoking, skipping classes, grades started to slip 
 Yeah. I don’t think they’re dating anymore and they broke up awhile ago, probably cus the boy be cheating on her.

And parties were a thing but I wasn’t in that crowd. They were usually like small parties whether it was at someone’s place or at a hotel where someone or all of them pitched in to rent out.

1 Like

:joy: I see this so often in stories, but irl I’ve personally never heard about it, especially at my school. It could happen though, who knows? Maybe they’re shy about how they feel. :woman_shrugging:

Most of the time i read high school story it depend , sometime they can be realistic and sometime not

Does your school have the stereotypical episode cliches, e.g. nerds falling for bad boys, a trio of blonde queen bees, social outcasts becoming popular with a makeover, etc?
nope nope and nope we can’t get makeover in my school we just wear uniform , not trio of blonde queen bees, in my school they are a duo and they have brown hair , bad boys i think one of my classmate is a bad boy i guess , the nerds -_- one of my bff fell inlove for this “bad boy”
the makeover ugh i don’t think you can become popular just for your looks , the “cool kids” in my school are mean and the thing wich is funny about them they try so hard to roast you but i roast them “back” :joy:

It depend on what they a wearing but once again i would say yes cuz like i said we wear uniform

Do the students throw huge parties where lots of drama occur? *
i don’t know , i never been to parties in my school at their house but from what i seen they just throw birthday parties but i don’t know if they are big and for the drama i don’t know

Well I graduated last year so I don’t think much has changed since then.
A lot of the high school stories that I’ve seen on episode are not accurate on what highschool is like, for example; bad boys smoking in the halls, the MC being able to skip class and talk in class with no consequence.

• Bad Boys - I don’t think they’re portrayed accurately but there are definitely male students like that, who really don’t care about school, they’re defiant and not one to follow the rules. I wouldn’t call them bad boys though
  • Blonde queen bee trios/mean girls - I’ll be honest I was a part of what was kind of a ‘queen bee’ trio in highschool. I think some people like to keep their inner circle small they find people they like and stick with them. A lot of times they can be mean because everyone gasses them up
  • Social Outcast falling for bad boys/ getting makeovers - Well yeah I guess it’s kind of true, I mean social outcasts have romantic feelings just like anyone else. As for make overs I think whenever someone in school has a drastic change in appearance or ‘glows up’ people will take notice. (keep in mind I’ve went to small private schools all of my highschool life so when something happens the whole school knows). Even as kind of a social outcast my more quote unquote ‘popular’ friends will constantly offer to do my makeup and hair. So yeah the makeover thing was something i related to.
  • Social Hierarchy - This has never been a thing in primary school or college for me. Just high school and I think that’s only because I went to small high schools.
  • Would the outfits in episode stories go against your school dress code?
    Well I live in the West Indies and most if not all West Indian schools require you to wear uniforms, where I live specifically most male students (aside from certain people) have to keep their hair very low cut almost bald, no weaves, no makeup (sometimes) not even a different colored jacket. So no, but I know it’s different in places like Europe and North America
  • Do the students throw huge parties where lots of drama occur?
    Idk about huge, all I know of are birthday parties & hotel sleepovers. I’ve never been to a high school party but as someone who loves to ‘spill the tea’. I always know what drama happens at them

I don’t really read Episode Original stories anymore, but for user stories it depends on the book.

Nerds do fall for “bad boys” but most of the time the bad boys already have girls or are just ash holes and don’t care about the nerd. There’s girls who think queen bees in their grouo but the rest of the school(over 1,000 kids) doesn’t see them that way. And there are of course, social outcasts.

Is there a social hierarchy?

Sadly, yes.

Lol yeah. I got dresscoded for wearing a top with thin sleeves🙄

Do the students throw huge parties where lots of drama occur?

I’ve never been to a party

1 Like

I don’t really read those stories, but the high schools there are nothing like the high schools here. I thought they were just american high schools lmao

No, there aren’t exactly any nerds, bad boys or queen bees, and I haven’t seen any social outcasts yet. apart from me

Not really, there are students that are greeted by more people in the hallway than other students, but that’s it. A lot of people know each other from primary school and the neighborhood.

Probably, we were supposed to wear uniforms but they haven’t made them yet lmao

No. But we had a few parties the school throws and they found drugs there. I don’t think they’ll throw any more lmao

I can’t really answer a lot since it’s my first year in HS, but it’s definitely different.