👊 HOW TO: animate the punch bag

There were several people asking me to help them with punch bag so I decided to make this tutorial/template. Hope it will help you.

First of all, you need an overlay of a punching bag. There are many to be found on the internet.

Before you upload it, make sure there is no empty space around it

This is essential because otherwise, nothing from what will be written below will work.
Here you have a picture to explain what I mean

Remember the script sees every overlay as a rectangle - you see the rectangle on the screen while you move it in preview.

If you have your overlay like this then the point where it should rotate is on the top of the overlay in the middle. - that will be our anchor point.

So it means the anchor point will be 0.5 1

Anchor point explained in the picture:

If you are not familiar with rotating overlays than you have to remember one more essential thing

ALWAYS FIRST CHANGE THE ANCHOR POINT

and only after you have done this shift the overlay to its spot.

To explain it why - anchor point is a point ON THE OVERLAY
Basically script see any overlay as a rectangle and anchor point is by default in the left low corner (0, 0)

The anchor point is the point which script uses as a reference point from where the overlay is placed on screen and also a reference point where is the center of the rotation.

Therefore when you change anchor point the overlays will seem that it has shifted even if you do not have any shift command…therefore it is necessary to set the right spot after the scrip already knows you have changed the anchor point.

And then you set your fighter too.

Here is an example:

INT. GYM - DAY

&overlay PUNCHBAG create
&overlay PUNCHBAG rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0
&overlay PUNCHBAG shifts to 77 568 in zone 1
&overlay PUNCHBAG scales to 0.550 0.550
&overlay PUNCHBAG moves to layer 0
&overlay PUNCHBAG opacity 1 in 0

&XANDER spot 1.064 243 74 in zone 1 AND XANDER faces left AND XANDER is idle_fight_angry_loop AND XANDER moves to layer 1

punch

Now when you have your overlay on the place you just have to rotate it back and forth simultaneously with punch animation.

Here is how I do it - but there are for sure many other ways:

&pause for 0.3 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates 30 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.2 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates -20 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.4 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.2
@XANDER is punch_fight_give_angry THEN XANDER is idle_fight_angry_loop

@pause for 1

&pause for 0.3 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates 30 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.2 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates -20 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.4 THEN overlay PUNCHBAG rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 1 in 0.2

@pause for 1

And here is the overlay of the blue punch bag - feel free to use it if you like it. :smiley:

37 Likes

Awesome!!!

3 Likes

Bump! I will defintely use this thank you!

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

This is so helpful. Thank you :yay:

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

bookmarking!

1 Like

This is amazing. I’ve been looking for something like this forever!!! Your awesome. :star_struck: I’ll give credit for using your example template :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Tysm for this :sob: rotating overlays sucks!!!

1 Like

LOL yeah took me a while till I figured how to make them work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do I have to use this command, can I just use INT. GYM - DAY with Punchbag?

If you will just use

BACKGROUND with PUNCHBAG

It will create the punch bag in left low corner of the screen and it will rotate around the left low corner of the overlay. ( as does the command “create”)

So you still will need to change the anchor point and to move the overlay to right position and scale it if it will not be in desired size.

1 Like

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

1 Like

Hey just a question, couldn’t I use the loop punching animation but also make the overlay rotate in loop? Because i’m makign my character speak out his feelings and if I just use the loop punching animation the bag wont move and it looks weird

sure you can change it to a loop…you just will need to play precisley with the timings so the bag will loop in exact same rythm as the looping animation. Which will probably take some time till you will have it but it is for sure possible.

1 Like

Sounds difficult😭 nvm, thank you though

1 Like

great, thanks!

Thank you!

1 Like

bump

Used this. Thanks for making it! :raised_hands:t4:

1 Like