How to become an expert in directing like Evil Ebonni?

I’ve read Adrenaline, and I love it so far. I was wondering how she is an expert like Evil Ebonni. I’m good at directing, but I’m not that good at it. I’m striving to get better at it.

3 Likes

Hmm i go through the same problem but i suggest taking your time

When I think of directing, I break it down into two components: Technical directing and visual directing. Technical directing is branching, making choices matter, mini-games, etc. – basically all the behind the scenes work that makes the storyline complex and interesting while still running smoothly. The forums are probably your best resource for improving this type of directing. There are many brilliant minds here that can solve essentially any technical directing issue.
Visual directing (which is what I assume you’re referring to) is zooms, spot directing, overlays, and anything else that enhances the story visually. Mastering the art of visual directing takes a lot of time, patience, and practice, but the end result is worth it. To improve your visual directing, I would recommend taking “visual risks” on every scene: Experiment with over-the-shoulder shots, zooms, and overlays often. Using only basic directing is fine, but Evil Ebonni rarely ever includes scenes with this set-up:
@zoom reset
@CHAR1 stands screen right
@CHAR2 stands screen left
If you want to visually direct at her caliber, you need to employ spot directing and zooms (and maybe overlays) in every scene.

1 Like

I am not really good at overlays, and I would like to improve on using them. I think they are great, and it makes a story seem more realistic. However, I do need help with technical directing because I am not that good with choices, mini-games, and etc.

1 Like

Improving my visual directing is something I’m focusing on in my unpublished work. I’m just trying to avoid stagnant scenes where the zoom never changes or the characters don’t move. As for technical directing, if you have any specific questions, I would resort to the forums. There are so many coding experts here that would be more than happy to help.

1 Like