How to code choice for female or male love interest along with reader permission to customize

So in some episodes it allows you to choose a male or female character (to play as) and a male or female character (to romance). The second one is sometimes customizable. Interested in knowing the exact coding behind it.

1 Like

It would look like this:

NARRATOR
Who do you want to date?
choice
“Men” {
gain date_men
}“Women” {
gain date_women
}

And then every time you write a scene with the love interest you have to code it separately:

if (date_men) {
MALE LI
Hi, nice to meet you!
}else {
FEMALE LI
Hi, nice to meet you!
}

Or, when there are too many scenes with the lover interest, it makes more sense to write the chapter with one branch first and then the other. Like this:

if (date_men) {
goto chapter_male
}else {
goto chapter_female
}

label chapter_male
here comes the whole chapter with male love interest
goto end_episode

label chapter_female
here comes the whole chapter with female love interest

label end_episode
this is so that after the first label it comes to end instead of reading the second

Hope this helps :slight_smile: It may seem complicated at first but really it’s not. It’s more annoying than complicated lol

2 Likes

thanks, do you know how to let the player customize a character to their own taste?

2 Likes
1 Like

At the start of my episode I code sexuality. 95 lines in. Meanwhile I look at what I have and it doesn’t breach 3 digits. gulp

Why is writing things so hard. I just want the reader to paralyze the LI in a dream sequence so they know basic backstory and I can flesh out nightmares and current attitudes. Like, why does it have to be so hard.

Ignore the above. Anyway, do you have any code that allows the reader to customize a character beyond the outfits?

1 Like

Dara has templates for this on her page

1 Like

The more you do it, the easier it gets, I promise. My first story’s first chapter was about ~1250 words, and my most recent chapter was 7000. Just keep practicing, I know you can do it! If you need some help with the code feel free to DM me. And Farah posted Dara’s CC links above- they’re the best!

You can watch LL Tutorials on YouTube by Joseph Evans. It’s actually very helping. I used that too.

I have a super easy gender selection template in my Carrd that doesn’t require all the branching!

Check it out by clicking here x

OMG this is amazing!!! Have you made a thread here linking to your templates? I think it would be so helpful for so many people!
Side note: How do you recommend using pronouns in dialogue? Just branching, or is there a way to make a value so that you could just type something like “[Pronoun] said ___”.

I haven’t made a thread yet, but I am glad that you find this helpful! x

For pronouns, it would be a matter of:

CHARACTER 
    Have you spoken to [NAME] at all?

if (gender is "Woman") {

OTHER
    Yeah, she said hello.

CHARACTER
    Oh, that's nice of her!

} elif (gender is "Man") {

OTHER
    Yeah, he said hello.

CHARACTER
    Oh, that's nice of him!

}

CHARACTER
    Say hello back for me when you see [NAME] next?

1 Like

Also, thank you for this comment – I have since revised the document to account for pronouns! :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.