How to Code Faster

I’ve been in the community since 2014-2015 and I’m very advanced at coding but I’ve only recently published a story late last year since I never had faith in my unpublished works. Coding in general is very strenuous and exhausting at times but I can’t help but I think that I take longer than others to code certain types of scenes. For example, I had a friend who showed me this concert scene she coded with a HUGE crowd of people and something like that would have taken me somewhere between four hours to a day to do (I get distracted easily sometimes) but she said she did it under two hours. I guess my question is what are some ways you have to code faster?

Some things you could consider if you have any tips:

• What do you do first and what do you do last? (example: dialogue then coding, coding then dialogue, going back to add music and fix speechbubbles, etc.)
  • How do you stay concentrated and focused?
  • Are there some certain types of scenes that you used to code slower but now code much faster (example: packed ballroom scenes, school hallways, or maybe some other scene that requires a lot of time but doesn’t necessarily need a lot of background characters)? Were there any methods of which got you to do it more quickly?
  • How do you keep your sanity? (this is a serious question, LOL)

Please do not say anything about script templates. I often make my own backgrounds or use custom ones.

Thank you! :blob_hearts:

10 Likes

I code a little faster since March, and this is my new method:

1. Adding the background and overlays to the scene, and adding the characters with @CHARACTER stands screen center
  2. Adding dialogs
  3. Adding animations
  4. Spot directing, etc.

I always get frustrated while coding. I like it, but when I have to remake a whole episode, I’m just so unmotivated :joy: I always listen to some podcast, that helps me a little.
I enjoy doing crowded scenes the most. I always try do add some backstory to the background characters, like for example, they’re a family on vacation, a group of friends who go to party, etc. this doesn’t make me faster, but it makes it more fun :relaxed:
I hope this helps!^^

5 Likes

in order, may very depending on how much of codeing there is
background overlay
codeing
text
animations
sound music
prof reading
speech bubbels,

I dont, I am autistic, and cant, many breaks, but try to write evryday

when I started and was bad we didnt have portal view, so directing was hard since you had to read it on your phone, and manullay type it in(if you been here since 2014 you remember that right?)

I enjoy codeing.

3 Likes

I never considered the background characters thing! I would allow them to have pretty simple loop animations and let them walk around but that was it. The backstory thing sounds really smart and interesting. I’ll try that approach lol.

1 Like

Yeah, my sequence is much different. I think I’ll try something a little like yours.

I do remember! However the portal was open before Mobile Creator was.

But honestly I admire your dedication, as I don’t code everyday lol. Tysm for sharing!

no i am no talking about mobile creator, I mean the codeing your doing on your computer to see where the charaters are on the screen when you code it, that you do on the portal view, you had to open your phone to see it.

1 Like

OH the previewer! Yeah, it took so much time to code without that lol

1 Like

bump

I usually code/add dialogue to 1-3 scenes, then I go in and read through, add directing/overlays/speech bubbles etc, read through again, then move onto the next couple scenes after it’s perfect.
I need to bounce around otherwise I get bored or demotivated. And if I code too many scenes/dialogue for too long, I start to lose sight of where I’m at in my story. So going back and forth often helps me continue to see the story play out.

Honestly, if I knew then I would do it :joy: I just try to write only when I’m in the mood to do so, and have no distractions.

For the first question, I’m not really sure. I might be a tiny bit faster because I’ve been coding for so long, but I’ve always tried to take it one step at a time.
I’d start by thinking of the scene taking place, then spotting all the characters on the screen in the general place I wanted them to be using the default positions such as back far right. Then I’d shuffle through the spot directing tool and move my characters around to their positions. When I’m satisfied, then I go through and put their coordinates in my script, save, then preview it to make sure I didn’t mix anything up.

I just try to make sure I have no distractions and I focus on one thing at a time.

Seeing the end result and being proud of what I made is worth it for me :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t like using templates, I prefer doing things myself and then undo an customize it to my liking. I even make all of my own tappable games and menus, and then all of the coding for them, as well. But my biggest piece of advice is to just take your time and try planning the scene and maybe even the character layout a piece of paper first. I’ve wasted lots of time before by just going right in, then not liking how the scene was turning out and then had to redo everything lol

1 Like

I usually start with the dialogue and character placement. After, I do animation then speech bubbles then music/ sounds. I find if I don’t do the dialogue first then I’ll lose the points I wanted to hit in my chapter and that will slow me down.

1 Like

So, this is how I do:

• I place my characters on a scene first like this: @CHARACTER stands screen center. Then I spot them.
  • Then the dialogue (with the animations at the same time)
  • Then, the zooms
  • Then the sounds and music
  • I place my speech bubbles at the very end! Like, when my chapter is finished.
2 Likes

there is a video where it shows when you go on episode on your phone you press your icon at the top and then a bar pops down and you want to click create and it will say create new story at the bottom and from there on you do what you want.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I usually start by placing the characters screen center or left/right and adding their dialogues. Then I spot direct them. But I can’t really say what I do first because sometimes I code the scene first and then add the dialogues and all while other times I simply write all the dialogues in one place and then code it.

Lol. Idrk! But I’m really passionate about my stories. Yeah I still have writer’s block and sometimes don’t code a single thing for 2-3 days but I’ve noticed that it happens because I get too tired because of real life or am in a crappy mood.

I’m new to coding. So I can’t really answer that because then I’ll have to say I’m faster at coding everything :laughing:

LOL. I usually take breaks or visit the forums. It’s really refreshing! Also I play Episode stories to clear my head.

1 Like
  • What do you do first and what do you do last? (example: dialogue then coding, coding then dialogue, going back to add music and fix speechbubbles, etc.)
    I always work on the beginning and ending firstly then the middle which is the actual story. I find it easiest and it’s my favorite part,

• How do you stay concentrated and focused?
    I have no. idea how people get anywhere if they don’t have self motivation. You should write because you’re inspired to, not because you feel as if your obligated to. Take it from someone who tried to force motivation then hated the outcome and redid their progress.

• Are there some certain types of scenes that you used to code slower but now code much faster (example: packed ballroom scenes, school hallways, or maybe some other scene that requires a lot of time but doesn’t necessarily need a lot of background characters)? Were there any methods of which got you to do it more quickly?
    I usually was always very slow when it came to spot directing, but it’s now one of the fastest coding I do and it’s quite simple.

• How do you keep your sanity? (this is a serious question, LOL)
    Coding -is- my sanity. I honestly go a little insane because I would so much rather be back on my bed with my laptop on my legs, coding. For me, it’s an escape and the freedom to express yourself through your work. And potentially, it’s showing, for a reader, how serious and dedicated you are by the dialogue and coding you use, even if its all basic.
1 Like

Oh, this question isn’t about motivation. :sweat_smile: I have trouble concentrating on just about anything—homework, chores, hobbies, everything. I love writing and coding. I just hate getting distracted.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and methods! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Well in that case I suggest prioritizing. I myself have a short attention span and get distracted so, so easily, and grr its so annoying right :joy: :triumph: I think if you have all these other things that your simultaneously thinking about, then isn’t that our brains telling us to do this first then code? Once you’ve done all you’ve got to worry about then our brains can’t make us worry about those things since they’ve been completed :yum:

What I’m trying to say is that this is a problem I have all the time. I can have everything on my to-do list finished but I can’t stay focused on one task for too long without my mind starting to think of something else. I’ll get tasks done but it slows everything down for me. I was supposed to seek help for this some years ago but couldn’t afford it so all I’m left with is asking others about ways to alleviate the problem and be more focused. For example, someone told me they had to stop listening to music while coding and it helped them be more concentrated. This kind of helped me to an extent.

I swear it’s not about prioritization. It’ll be the most random of thoughts. :sob:

1 Like

Do you have a lot on your plate, mentally? Because my mind also wanders to anything, even if its not work related. If this is too personal to answer in a public thread, my PM is a click away-

1 Like

Do you have ig?