HOW TO: [cut out characters] For Dummies!

Welcome to the first part of “HOW TO: For Dummies!”

This tutorial is just a first part of my HOW TO: [cover] but it’s essential, because today you will learn how to cut out your characters like a pro! And not only characters, you can apply everything you’ll learn here on everything else, to create overlays, for example.

You can see the final product of this tutorials in comments down below :arrow_down:

Also, check out my blog, where I post those tutorials first. Feel free to request tutorials I should do next!

Now, without further ado, let’s start cutting!!! :scissors:

What do you need?

• :white_check_mark: Eyes
  • :white_check_mark: Hands (Preferably both, but one will do)
  • :white_check_mark: PC (I swear to god, if anyone asks for MOBILE tutorial I’m gonna find you and I’m gonna chop off your hands so you can NEVER edit anything, ever)
  • :white_check_mark: Some editing software
  • :white_check_mark: Decent browser

Software such as GIMP 2.0 (it’s free) or if you own one, or know how to crack one (not encouraging anyone tho) – Photoshop.

I’m gonna be using GIMP for this tutorial (even tho I prefer PS, let’s be real), cuz this is probably what most of y’all will be getting.

If you can’t download and install this by yourself, just quit this, editing is not for you, go to some petty ““Art Shop”” owner.

Now, you need to open Writer’s Portal and do the following:

1. Create a new story, name it “Covers (LL/INK)” - depending on whether you’re going to do the Limelight or Ink edit, in case you’re going to do edits in both, so you keep things organised. If you’re not an organised person - become one, because you’ll need that, while editing.

2. Create your character. Yep, just like that.

3. Now upload some plain background (unless your character wears only bright colours and Episode’s black background will do for you) like white, or gray.
    Important! The background can’t be the same colour as an outfit!

4. Now for the tricky part: place your character in the screen center as a starting point.

@CHARACTER stands at screen center AND CHARACTER faces [ *left/right* ] AND CHARACTER is [desired pose]

For this tutorial, I’m gonna be using simple flirt_wink_atcamera_pose as it’s pretty much the easiest one, due to it’s static form, therefore you don’t have to time your screenshots right.

1. Preview your story, press directing helper on the preview, then spot helper. Now scale your character to fit the screen. I’m gonna do the knee’s up character on my cover, so that’s how I’m going to place it. (FYI, you shouldn’t show more of your character than that, if you’re doing a cover. Because nobody’s gonna see your character on a small cover in an app, if you place full body there.)

1. Now, that your character is exactly where you want it to be, you need to press spot directing to hide it, then hide helpers and then press navigation and hide debug elements of HUD.

2. Now, press CTRL on your keyboard and zoom in with mouse wheel. If you’re a Mac user then you should sell it and buy yourself a decent Windows PC, okay.

3. ZOOM IN BRO! To 200% or so. Now press your Print Screen button, open fricking Paint - YES, PAINT - and CTRL+V your screenshot. You should open 2 windows of paint. Once you paste the first screen, go back to Episode Interactive, scroll down to see bottom half of your character, screen again, and paste it in another paint window.

4. Now select your character and CTRL+X it.

1. Open THIRD window of paint and CTRL+V upper half of your character there. Hold and drag bottom part of canvas, to make it longer. Now do exactly the same with bottom half of your character to cut it out, but paste it in the third window, where one part of your character is and try to glue them together.

1. Now again hold bottom and right of canvas to fit the character, and leave as little of background as possible. Once it’s done press CTRL+A to select whole canvas and CTRL+C to copy it.

You may ask: „Why all the effort, when I can just screen my character in outfi—” NO!!! YOU CANNOT. AND LET ME SHOW YOU WHY.

This is quality difference, my dear. If you do not see it or simply don’t give a damn about this then leave this site, and never come back, cuz u r a piece of crap.

1. Now that easy part is over… time to open GIMP. Press CTRL+N to open a new file. Here are some of best sizes for various arts (width x height):

Small Cover - 966 x 1334
Big Cover - 966 x 642

Art Scene:

One Panel - 640 x 1136
Two Panels - 1280 x 1136
Three panels - 1920 x 1136

Pfp - 2048 x 2048

1. Now CTRL+V to paste your character and CTRL+Shift+N to create a layer with it. Change background to black or dark grey, if background you chose on Episode was white, or leave background white, if your character is on black/dark grey bg. To do that, press on background layer, find and select bucket tool and simply press on the canvas.

1. Now, select pasted layer, find wand tool and click on the background, of your character. This will select the background, but not perfectly. We’ll have to fix it anyway, in the next step. For now with wand still in your hands press and hold Shift, and click on empty areas, like between your characters’ legs, under its’ arms etc, while holding shift, this way, you are adding those areas to already existing selection. When everything is selected just press Delete, or CTRL+X and then CTRL+Shift+A to remove selection.

1. Now, if you zoom in (+/- or CTRL+Mouse Wheel) you can see, this isn’t exactly what we’re going for, so we have to fix this. Press Shift+E to save some time, instead of looking for eraser in all those tools. Adjust the size of your brush using [ and ] . You can hold those to change the size faster. Size 9 should do the trick tho.

1. Here’s some of the Eraser’ settings that may make your work easier. (Sorry for non-english version, I can’t change it to language other than my software.)

1. All is left to do is… erase! It gets really relaxing, once you warm up your hand, I swear.

That’s it for now, I’ll see you in the next part, once y’all are done erasing those bruhs :black_heart:

Let me know if this was helpful, check my blog for bigger size pics and as always:
Stay awesome!
xx

26 Likes

WHAT YOU CAN GET BY FOLLOWING MY TUTORIALS:

17 Likes

Wow this is very helpful! Totally bookmarking this, thank you!

2 Likes

Wot. Who uses their mobile device to edit?

6 Likes

Lol I use my phone sometimes. But usually if I need an overlay of a table from a background or something. I rarely do edits.

3 Likes

But that got to be so inconvinient? Maybe I’m just super ass handed, but literally can’t see myself succeeding at that xD

2 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

Well idk for me it’s kinda convinient. Cuz like I just go to the episode app and take a sceenshot of the character, go to the app I usethen just erase all the background from there and it’s done. Everything I need is on my phone so it’s easy. Plus I can’t do edits on my laptop at all :joy:

2 Likes

You’re breaking my stereotypes D:

2 Likes

:skull:me

1 Like

Lowkey bookmarked :joy:

1 Like

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 Like

:joy:

This is helpful, but I already use my iPad to do it

3 Likes

Ye, ever since I got mine I barely do edits, just draw. Sooo I figured people here need new good editor, once I’m gone, and they’ll need guidance :joy::joy::joy:

Jk ofc, there’s a lot of good editors out there :wink:

Srsly tho, I see a lot of bad edits, with low resolution or (ohgawd) those white leftovers around things and I wanted to point it out and show ppl how to avoid those kinds of mistakes.

Thank you, everyone, for kind words :black_heart:

4 Likes

Daymn, your art (especially the last piece) looks amazing. Do you accept tutorial requests and are you planning on doing a series for the beginners only?

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :blush: I’d definitely love to get some tutorial suggestions, since I have no idea what to do next, after finishing the second part of HOW TO: [cover] :black_heart:
I have plans for some more advanced art related tutorials, as well as the “for dummies” ones, but nothing specific in my mind, yet, so if you’d like to see something specific - please, let me know!
xx

3 Likes

As a beginning photoshop user, I, personally, would LOVE to get an advanced tutorial about brushes, their settings and kinds, which sets to use for art (for instance, your way of doing skin and hair is just stanning).
Or, for example, an outline tutorial. Today I’ve found out, that versions of photoshop before 2k18 don’t have the ‘smoothing’ option. Idk how important that one is for an outline work, but would love to know, whether I should really care to get a newer program or not.
Generally, coloring gives me lots of trouble, as much as shading >< But that’s for drawing attempts.

As for the beginners, I think, it would be useful to introduce people to some simple features as poses making or backgrounds for splashes and such. Maybe also introduce simple and useful brush pre-sets, (stars, snow, rain, grass and so on), techniques of turning day backgrounds into night ones. It seems pretty popular around here. It seems pretty frequently asked around, but that’s just from my short-term experience :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Woah, thanks a lot, actually! I’ll definitely make an attempt of doing tutorials for everything you mentioned :black_heart:
Is there one specific, that you’d like to see first? :thinking:

1 Like

Even if you make at least one of those, I’ll be super greatful! Honestly, I would love either the how-to-draw-hair one or how to use brushes in general the most, but not sure if that’s what other people within the community want.
Have searched through multiple tutorials on youtube, pinterest and devianart, but, sadly, people only show what they do, but not HOW they do it, if that makes sense? I’m not an artist, but I do want to do my things myself, so for me the topic of choosing the correct brush and setting it is very confusing ><

1 Like