🚗 HOW TO: Drive into / Drive Off the scene with Character inside

bump!

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting my timing right. It seems no matter what time I have the car and the character enter they aren’t simultaneous.

Even when I put them both as ‘in 3’ the character moves slower than the car!
Any idea what I can do?

Can you post your script?

Offscreen
EXT. HYDRANGEA LANE - DAY with CAR SIDE PURPLE to 0.294 -283 -1
@overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE shifts to -283 -1
@overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE scales to 0.294 0.294
&COURTNEY spot 0.785 -202 67 AND COURTNEY faces right

Coming onscreen
&COURTNEY walks to spot 0.605 80 67 in 2.5 AND COURTNEY does it while idle_happy_pose
&overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE shifts to -1 -1 in zone 2 in 4 using easeout
&overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE scales to 0.294 0.294

(I currently have my character at 2.5 because that seems to be the closest I can get to simultaneous timing)

courtney should be & and the overlay should be @, and you can match up the seconds then.

Look at the example April provided and try to match it up:
EXT. BRICK MANSION - DAY with CAR ANGLE SILVER to 0.872 -758 -48
@JULIE spot 0.832 173 177 AND JULIE faces left AND JAMES spot 1.032 -306 -85 AND JAMES faces right
@pause for a beat
&JAMES walks to spot 1.032 106 -85 in 3.0 AND JAMES does it while idle
@overlay CAR ANGLE SILVER shifts to -342 -48 in 3.0
@overlay CAR ANGLE SILVER scales to 0.872 0.872

like for example you don’t need to spot the overlay twice when it’s offscreen:
Offscreen

I did try that but they still don’t move simultaneously, she’s so much slower for whatever reason!

Offscreen

Coming onscreen
&COURTNEY walks to spot 0.605 80 67 in 4 AND COURTNEY does it while idle_happy_pose
@overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE shifts to -1 -1 in zone 2 in 4 using easeout
@overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE scales to 0.294 0.294

It’s probably however you have her placed offscreen.

She might be placed too far away from the car.

I’ll try reworking that, thank you! :slight_smile:

Make sure you spot her in the driver’s seat offscreen, as close to however you want her in the seat when she’s on screen. Because if she’s too far away, she’ll always be slower.

1 Like

I figured it out! Apparently, it wasn’t lining up because of the ‘ease out’ function. Once I took that away, they moved simultaneously. Just thought I would post this incase anyone else ever has the same issue :slight_smile:

bump!

love itttttt

1 Like

@Apes, I want to make a car drive up to the brick mansion with the character in it and then another character gets in the car then it drives away with them in it. How do I do this? Is there a template I can use?

I will add this to my guide soon as a lot of people asking how to :smiley:
but it’s the same like with driving on scene.
You placed your off screen left? You need to zoom out @zoom on 29 82 to 28% in 0
and place your characters in the car while car if off screen, then @zoom reset and just use these spots for driving off

Hello!
I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly does this code do?

The first spot is to make her walk offscreen I belive, the last one to enter the car.

But what does the spot in the middle do?

Love,
Sahra

I think this way looks visually better. So she’s not walking straight from spot to the car and like going around the car first then entering the car. I will try to break it for you :smiley:

So when she’s here which looks like this:

sss

if she would walk to the car from this spot she would enter the car from the back which looks weird to me

so after she walks off I place her near the car which is this spot you’re talking about:

off

so she’s entering the car from the side which is this one:

Hope this is a bit clearer if not let me know :smiley: :hugs:

1 Like

I think I got it!
Thank you so much for the effort and for this guid ((:

1 Like

No problem :grin: and I’m glad you asked because it might be not clear for some people so I hope this helps to understand why I did it this way.

I am using the background EXT. MOUNTAIN ROAD CAR LOOP - DAY.
Can we anyhow make the scene go faster because I want to show that they are driving really fast but the background moves slower than a tortoise?

You need to upload background as an overlay and loop it yourself with the speed you want.

I recommend Dara’s topic, she made a few overlays and codes you can use:

1 Like