How to "FADE" Characters

Thanks!

Yeah I did that. But it isn’t working still. This is how I have it set up.

EXT. SOUTHERN HOME - DAY with TREE at layer 2
@cut to zone 3
@ARDEN stands screen right and ARDEN faces left
@LAELYNN stands upscreen left and LAELYNN faces right

rest of dialogue

@overlay TREE opacity 0.5 in 0
&ARDEN moves to layer 1 and LAELYNN moves to layer 3
@overlay TREE opacity 1 in 2
@removes ARDEN

0 Likes

What isn’t working for you? I can see that you cut to zone 3, but you didn’t put zone 3 for the overlay.

0 Likes

Oh!!! I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

0 Likes

Try it like @Dara.Amarie say…
EXT. SOUTHERN HOME - DAY with TREE in zone 3 at layer 2

0 Likes

That helped! Thanks. But now I’m running into another issue. The background for some reason gets a tad fuzzy when fading. It’s like the overlay shifted a little. Any idea?

0 Likes

You have to align it so it matches the background using the overlay helper tool, then add those number coordinates to your script: A Guide to Using & Animating OVERLAYS

0 Likes

I know what happened. I think when I downloaded the background, cut the zone out that I needed, saved it as a png and then uploaded it, the image must have been zoomed in or out differently than the original. When I go to shift it, the one area it fixes ends up messing up another area. So I think the overlay just isn’t identical to the background.

I was able to make some adjustments with the fading so it isn’t AS noticeable. Lol. But thank you for your help. I really appreciate it! :smiley:

1 Like

I use krita, it’s free and you can download it off their website.
If you are unsure of how to do anything on it, they have tons of help on their website

0 Likes

Dara do u know how can I “move away” a character and the zoom focus on another? I tried but I can’t do that effect

0 Likes

Do you mean zooming on a character while another character “shifts” out of view and goes offscreen?

0 Likes

HELlo?

0 Likes

Would the overlay being a solid color affect the effect of the transparency? Should we upload the actual background as the overlay?

0 Likes

Whatever background you’re using needs to be made into an overlay. The overlay should match the background exactly.

1 Like

Thanks!

0 Likes

this has really helped but I’m having trouble getting the right sized overlay.
help

1 Like

What do you mean?

0 Likes

When I save the background as an overlay I have to resize it when I put it into my story but I find it hard to get it at the right size it ends up looking right in some places and blury in others

0 Likes

You’ll just have to move it around so that it lines up and matches with the background. (it’s good to keep it half opicty when you’re moving it around so that you can see through it so that it’s easier to line up)

0 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: never thought about keeping most of the opicty. That would have made my life easier, :joy::joy:

0 Likes

How do you fade yourself in?

0 Likes