How to Fix Labels Inside If/Else Statements

Hey guys!
So I was writing a chapter in my story, and I remembered I couldn’t use labels inside of if/else statements. The scene with labels was necessary, so I did some research and messed around with the script a bit and found a solution to my problem! I’m so excited about it and thought I would share.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

NOTE: I’m a new writer, and this template/example may not work for every script. But, I’m hoping it can help some of you.:kissing_heart:
P.S. I used some of @Dara.Amarie’s tips and tricks, and couldn’t have done this without her inspiration.:hearts:

If you want to use an if/else statement with labels “inside” of it, technically, this wouldn’t work. However, there is always a loophole! Here’s an example of how to script this to ensure a certain if/else choice can have a label inside of it:

INT. BLACK - NIGHT
NARRATOR
What event did you pick?

choice (EVENT_LABEL)
“Karaoke Night” {

goto Karaoke_Night

} else {

goto Costume_Fashion_Show

}

label Karaoke_Night

#storyline goes here
#storyline goes here
#storyline goes here

if (EVENT_LABEL is “Karaoke Night” {

goto End_Episode

} else {

goto End_Episode

}

label Costume_Fashion_Show

#storyline goes here
#storyline goes here
#storyline goes here
#This is where I have tons of labels for an outfit game created by Dara, lol

label End_Episode

#my episode closing

I noticed that any change in this template creates an error for me, but feel free to play around changing things up as it gets a little repetitive, lol! Feel free to credit me at nelia.episode, but this is mostly a guideline so no credit is necessary.:blush:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.