How to get characters to move in bumper cars

Hi, and I’m about to do a scene where I have characters in bumper cars, and I’m sure the scene will require spot directing, but anyway I’m trying to figure how to place the characters in the bumper cars and how to keep them in while the bumper cars are moving. Also I would like to know how to add dialogue to characters while their still in the cars, especially when they’re moving. If anybody knows, please let me know.

2 Likes

I think the easiest way would be to make overlays of the bumper card with the characters already sitting in them. Unless your characters are customizable :sweat_smile: Then you’ll need 2 overlays - on of the car from inside and one from the outside to cover the characters. Then you can do this for moving and talking:

&overlay BUMPER_CAR1 shifts to ... ... in ... AND overlay BUMPER_CAR2 shifts to ... ... in ...
CHARACTER (animation)
-Text-

The last option with one or multiple overlays of the bumper cars (I wouldn’t do the overlay behind the character that shows the ‘inside’ or other side of the car if it’s too much work already. It’s only for the extra detail in my opinion) also requires that you make the character move with the movement of the bumper car. So you not only have to spot direct the overlay from one spot to another, but also need to spot direct the characters with the next command for example:
&CHAR walks to spot . . . in . AND CHAR does it while sitting_animation_name

It sounds like a lot of work, but when it’s done I’m sure it will be worth the work and will look awesome!
Good luck and happy writing :white_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and I tried what you told me but I still can’t get the character and the overlay to move simultaneously. If you can help me that I’d greatly appreciate it.

That’s the tricky part. We’d need the exact background and overlays that you’re using, then we’d have to code it and test it out ourselves, first… before sending you the correct coding. [Because there’s no other way to know for sure if it’ll work.]

Here is the background and the overlays:

Oh, see with those specific overlays, they won’t work for the characters unless you duplicate the overlay and cut out the seating area… [then layer the one with the cut out in front of the original version, plus the character] because otherwise it’ll look like the characters are sat behind the car, rather than in it.

But you’ll also need to cut out the little screen in front of them… otherwise it’ll look odd with that bit of black seating in the way, as there’s no way to remove that.

Perhaps I need some different bumper car overlays.

Do you think you can modify the overlays for me?

Let me just do a bit of searching, first. :blush: I could’ve sworn MJordan has some bumpcar overlays that you can use… I could be wrong, but I’ll have to double check.

Update: I just checked and she no longer has a free drive. You now have to pay her to access it.

1 Like

I did discover some modified versions of the overlay I showed earlier and here they are:

As you can tell, the seating has been removed and perhaps I can make any character to appear that he or she is sitting in the car.

Those might work actually, hang on… I’ll test it out.

This will take 20 minutes or so.

1 Like

I set up a little scene, it’s nothing special… but it all works perfectly. [One thing you’ll need to do though, is flip the pink car… otherwise all the cars are stuck driving in the same direction.] [In the code below, the pink car is flipped!]

Feel free to use the code, below. You’ll need to change the character names… and the background and overlay names to match whatever you titled them whilst uploading.

INT.BUMPER
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 create
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 shifts to -81 -88 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 opacity 1 in 0
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 to layer 0

&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 create
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 shifts to -81 -88 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 opacity 1 in 0
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 to layer 2

@YOU spot 0.735 119 59 in zone 1 at layer 1

&overlay BCORANGE1 create
&overlay BCORANGE1 shifts to 224 -88 in zone 2 in 0
&overlay BCORANGE1 scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay BCORANGE1 opacity 1 in 0
&overlay BCORANGE1 to layer 3

&overlay BCORANGE2 create
&overlay BCORANGE2 shifts to 224 -88 in zone 2 in 0
&overlay BCORANGE2 scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay BCORANGE2 opacity 1 in 0
&overlay BCORANGE2 to layer 5

@AUSTIN spot 0.755 191 77 in zone 3 at layer 4

@cut to zone 1
@zoom on 102 0 to 174% in 0

&YOU faces right AND YOU is talk_angry
&AUSTIN faces left AND AUSTIN is idle
@speechbubble is 173 206 to 85% with tail_top_left
YOU
You’re so going down.

&YOU is primp_neutral
@pause for 2

@cut to zone 3
@zoom on 816 0 to 174% in 0

&AUSTIN is eyeroll_subtle
@pause for 1.5

@speechbubble is 187 232 to 85% with tail_top_right
&AUSTIN is talk_flirt_charming
AUSTIN
Oh, it’s on!

@cut to zone 1
@zoom reset
&YOU is take_object_neutral
@pause for 2

&overlay BCORANGE1 shifts to 104 -88 in zone 2 in 1.4
&overlay BCORANGE2 shifts to 104 -88 in zone 2 in 1.4
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK1 shifts to 134 -87 in zone 1 in 1.4
&overlay BCFLIPPEDPINK2 shifts to 134 -87 in zone 1 in 1.4
&AUSTIN walks to spot 0.755 74 77 in zone 3 in 1.5 AND AUSTIN does it while idle_argument_angry_loop THEN AUSTIN is react_startled_embarrassed
&YOU walks to spot 0.735 30 59 in zone 2 in 1.5 AND YOU does it while idle_argument_angry_loop THEN YOU is react_startled_embarrassed
@pause for 1.2
@cut to zone 2
@zoom on 573 0 to 207% in 0.3 using easebounceout
@pause for 0.5

&YOU is react_startled_embarrassed
&zoom on 320 36 to 261% in 0
@pause for 2

@speechbubble is 123 259 to 85% with tail_top_left
&YOU is talk_angry
YOU
You bumped into me!

@cut to zone 3
@zoom on 640 36 to 261% in 0
@speechbubble is 179 305 to 85% with tail_top_right
&AUSTIN is talk_primp_neutral
AUSTIN
That’s the name of the game!

1 Like

Thanks for the coding, but just one question. Do you think you can give me the overlay of the pink flipped car?

Of course :blush:, here they are:

and

I just tested this coding and it works and now I know what to do when I create my bumper car scene. I thank you for all your hard work, and there’s no way I could do a bumper car scene without this coding.

1 Like

Aww, you’re welcome. I’m just glad that I was able to help! :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.