HOW TO: Give readers the option to have sounds and music or not. (With Gains and With Points)

Hey, guys. I just thought about this and decided to test it out. It worked! So then I thought, “Let’s share this with everyone!”

NOTE: You do not have to copy everything exactly how it’s shown here. If you want to add your own spin to it, you can. All that matters is if it works for your readers.

If there is anything wrong with this post, please feel free to let me know.

How to do it with GAINS

This method involves the gains/flags. The important thing to remember when using this method is that the readers can’t lose flags after they have gained them. So once they pick the option of having sounds and music or not, it’ll be like that for the rest of the story. NO CHANGES! If you want readers to be able to switch between having sound and not having sound, I recommend checking out the other method.

Here’s my script on how to do it:

This is the main important part!

NARRATOR

Would you like to have sound effects and music? (For example, if there was a car crash, you would hear it.)

choice

“Yes.”{

gain include_sounds_and_music

}

“No thank you.”{

gain do_not_include_sounds_and_music

}

After that, whenever you want to add music or sounds, you would write it like this:

if (include_sounds_and_music){

music music_name_here

@pause for 0

}

elif (do_not_include_sounds_and_music){

music off

@pause for 0

}

How it’ll look and sound if the reader chooses “Yes”.

FullSizeRender — Kapwing

How it’ll look and sound if the reader chooses “No thank you”.

FullSizeRender — Kapwing

How to do it with POINTS

This method involves the point system. The important thing to remember when using this method is that this gives you the option of letting the readers be able to switch between having sound and not having sound. If you want your reader to choose to have sound or not and have it like that for the rest of the story with no possible changes, then I recommend checking out the other method.

When doing this method, you have to make new character to add points too. You could name them Captions, Subtitles, or even Sounds. It doesn’t matter. I chose captions because I would use captions to explain my story if the reader chose to have no music/sounds.

Here’s my script on how to do it:
This is the main important part!

@CAPTIONS =0
NARRATOR
Would you like to have sound effects and music? (For example, if there was a car crash, you would hear it.)

choice
“Yes.”{
@CAPTIONS =1

readerMessage The story will now include sounds and music.

@pause for 1
}
“No thank you.”{
@CAPTIONS =0

readerMessage The story will now not include sounds and music.
@pause for 1
}

After that, whenever you want to add music or sounds, you would write it like this.
if (CAPTIONS >0){

music music_name_here
@pause for 0
}
else{
music off
@pause for 0
}

After that, whenever you would want to give the reader the option to change their options, for example, in a beginning menu, you would write something like this.
NARRATOR
Would you like to change the sound and music settings?

choice
“Yes, I want the story to include sounds and music.”{
@CAPTIONS =1
}
“No, I do not want the story to include sounds and music.”{
@CAPTIONS =0
}

I would show videos of how this works, but my video maker website that I’m using is not working the way I want it to right now.

Or you could also do this by doing what @fake_bananas said. You can do whichever method you want.

Feel free to reply as well.

7 Likes
Tags

@JemU776 @Nazee_writes @Devil_Herself @LiaLopez @MMG @N_Olivia @lanafrazer_episode

4 Likes

So I actually do this with flashing lights, but I just use choices without gains or points. For example:

NARRATOR
Are you sensitive to flashing lights?

choice (Flash)
“Yes.” {
} “No.” {
}

And then later:

if (Flash is “No.”) {
@transition fade in white in 0.01
@pause for 0.5
@pause for 0.5
} else {
}

It’s basically the same thing, you just skip the step of adding gains/points.

2 Likes

Oh wow. Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.