How-To Guide: Making and Adding Muslim Characters

Today I am here to show you and inform you about the ways to make and add Muslim characters. Here’s what you can do:

Give them a personality
Not all Muslims are very religious nor is our religion is our whole life and who we are as a person. Islam is a way of life, not our whole persona. Give us character! We are people and like any other person. We just live our life differently from others.

Relationships
I rather not go off into it and give an article that explains it perfectly:

Reminder: All sexualities and orientations are accepted to our community.
Some of us may not agree but they are our brothers and sisters so we do
not judge upon or ridicule them. It just matters by the individual rather than the religion itself.

Make them dress properly
For Muslim women, we aren’t forced to wear the Hijab. However, it states in the Qu’ran:

Tell the believing men that they shall subdue their eyes (and not stare at the women), and to maintain their chastity. This is purer for them. God is fully Cognizant of everything they do.
And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to God, O you believers, that you may succeed. (24:30-31)*

Therefore, saying a Hijab is a choice but we must dress modestly. There are some Muslims that go against the rule but please don’t make most of your Muslims characters do that. And don’t make them wear revealing clothing with a Hijab. With the Hijab, we are supposed to dress modestly, not revealing. Headwraps have the same rule, if you are Muslim. It matters by the wrapping style because some you have to dress modestly for. Some Muslims wear headwraps, so if you make us wear it, that’s fine. And make sure that you know not all Muslims wear the Hijab and people who wear the Hijab aren’t automatically Muslim. If you need more help with this, check out these two threads:

Reminder: If you make a Muslim character wear see through rip jeans, make sure
they wear leggings underneath that are solid. 

Extra: Symbolism behind the Hijab, Niqab, and other Head Scarves like it
I feel people should know the symbolism behind them is for: Divinity, beauty, fashion, modesty and privacy. Please be aware they aren’t hurt or strip anything away from anyone. Just because some are forced to wear it, doesn’t make the ideology of it bad itself. And please, do not say “I see it as a head wrap more than a religious hair piece.” Although, it doesn’t belong to any religion, that’s no excuse to say so. It isn’t a head wrap. Head wraps are different from Head scarves. The head scarf needs to worn properly, not frivolously.

Some Religious Greetings and Sayings
As-Salaam Alaikum - “Peace be upon you.”
Once someone says that, we say back:
Walaikum Salaam - “And peace unto you.”
Inshallah - “If Allah wills it.”
Example:
“Inshallah, we’ll see if we can go tomorrow.”
Mashallah - “Allah/God has willed.” or “As Allah/God willed.”
Allahu Akbar - “God is the greatest.”

There are different denominations of Islam
You can make your character say “Well, I am Muslim” but when you tell us what Islam they follow, you can’t just say Islam itself. There are different ones. Like Sunni-Islam, Shai-Islam, etc.
Here’s something to help:
https://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/major-difference-between-shia-and-sunni

Eating Ways
Though the Qu’ran has stated we can’t eat pork, some of us do. Well, a small amount. This doesn’t mean you can make your Muslim characters eat pork, no. It just mean you can make a very small amount do. Just remember, each denomination of Islam may eat different things and strictly not eat specific foods. Like I can’t eat peanut butter because I am part of the Nation of Islam but other Muslims do. You have to be careful of what they eat.

Praying
In Arab countries, they pray 5 times a day. There are some Muslims that do so. It just matters by the are they live. In countries that do not enforce it, it matters by the person. My mother prays twice a day, at night and in the morning.
An article for this:

Body Modifications
Us Muslims, and I think this goes for all of us no matter the denomination, we do not believe in them. We think it is strictly harmful to the body, so we do not suggest to have or do so. Tattoos are forbidden, however, piercings matters. In some denominations of Islam, it is forbidden overall. In mine, it is accepted at times. Body piercings are not accepted but for the face, there’s a limit. Not too many. I think it’s about 3-5. You just can’t wear the piercings to the Mosque. If you plan on making a Muslim character have piercings, please be aware of the rules of each denominations that accept it or not.

Holidays
We do not celebrate holidays like Christmas or Easter. We celebrate Eid Al-Adha, Ramadan, Eiid Al-Fitr, and many others. Like I have stated, it matters by the denomination of Islam. For me, I am part of the Nation of Islam, we have a holiday called Saviors Day. If you want to learn more about it, here’s a link:

For more information on all the holidays:

I think that’s all I can cover for now. Thank you for listening and I hope you find this useful. As Salaam Alaikum. :pray:t5:

Last Reminder: Islam can be and is practiced in many different countries
of the world. China, Africa, India, etc. Muslims are from all all around.
There is not only one place we can be from. 

If you want to help with more representation on Muslims, support these threads:

Support another How To Guide Thread:

New:

Old:
https://forums.episodeinteractive.com/t/extend-your-diversity-jewish-characters/35677/1

CC template(s) for Hijabi characters:

122 Likes

This took me way too long to type then it needed to be. :sweat_smile: I am very slow.

14 Likes

Thank you sooo much, I totally needed this. Google ain’t much help :heart: :cherry_blossom:

8 Likes

I made a little mistake with the greetings and I just changed it so make sure you do it that way :joy:

7 Likes

I put upon to you instead of upon you. Smh

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for this!!! I’d love to know a little more about the holidays if you ever get some time! This is a great place to start for anyone writing a Muslim character, though!

5 Likes

Adding an article now for it

2 Likes

I absolutely love how you wrote great facts about Islam. It teaches fellow authors a lot about it.

7 Likes

And if ya’ll want some more research about the differences between Sunni and Shia Islam:

5 Likes

Thank you for that! I wish I can pin a comment but I don’t think I can

1 Like

You could take the link and edit the first post if you want <3

1 Like

Just did. Thank you

1 Like

I’m always a little cautious when looking up stuff about Islam, because I know I get angry with the Catholicism stuff on the internet because some of it is just so wrong! So this is great, because it helps people know what to trust

6 Likes

I also didn’t know there were two holidays that started with the word “Eid!” I only ever hear about Eid al-Fitr

2 Likes

Yeah, there is. I, of course, have heard it many times through my life. It’s kinda stuck to my brain. Anyway, the food for it is amazing and so good! :drooling_face: I usually go to Newark for the holiday.

4 Likes

It always seems like so much fun! I know I often help my friends out around (I think it’s) Ramadan when they do their charity work, so sometimes I get a little food when they break their fast :wink: it’s always delicious

3 Likes

I just love the deserts. There’s cakes, bean pie, cheesecake, the whole mother load. :relieved: :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Have they ever given you bean pie?

Although people do get really grumpy during Ramadan! Especially the men! xD A hungry man is an angry man, I guess!

I haven’t tried the bean pie, actually! Most of my Muslim friends are from the Indian subcontinent, so they usually have curries and stuff. Is it nice?

2 Likes

I feel like I also need to say (with my limited knowledge) that Halal isn’t just a type of food! I’ve heard of halal dating… all kinds of things. I don’t know the exact translation, but I believe Halal is things which are allowed.

And also that my really devout friends have to be careful where I never even thought they’d have to be! Halal sweets, making sure they check their mouthwash doesn’t have alcohol…

Did you know that a lot of soy sauce has alcohol in it?!

3 Likes