How to have background characters walking?

Basically, I just want background characters to be walking across the screen. I’m using a looping background for this, but I just don’t know how to get the characters to be a certain size? I’ve looked it up a few times, and I found some stuff, but it looks really complicated. It may just be because I’m a bit dumb, but can someone make it simpler for me?

Hey! I think the complicated stuff you’re talking about is spot directing. It’s actually really simple once you understand you. You can find a guide here.

But, if you don’t want to use spot directing, you can but still easily put characters in the background. It’s just like how you regularly place characters, but use back far left, back left, back right, or back far right, instead of something like screen right or upscreen left. The characters will be in the background, however, they might not looks exactly how you want them too. Sometimes the proportions don’t work perfectly with the backgrounds. But this is a really easy substitute to get characters in the background!

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I kinda understand the commands, but I just can’t get past the X, Y, S, and T stuff. I get lost easily when numbers and letters are in the same place.

It understandable. It took me a while to get used to spot directing :sweat_smile: It’s gotten easier, though, since if you preview your story on the app, and try the spot directing tool, it will give you the exact code to put in your script. Nevertheless, I hope I was able to help! :cherry_blossom:

Thanks again! :smiley:

Here’s a guide I made on Spot Directing:

And here’s an up to date guide on Spot Walking:

I’m reading that right now :smiley: Though I don’t understand how to maintain the character size? My character is walking across the screen, but she increases in size. Also, I don’t know how to have characters walk behind other characters.

The second link will show you how to maintain the height when a character is walking.

And to have a character be in front of the other you have to change the overlay:

@CHAR1 spot 1.280 50 0 in zone 1 at layer 1
@CHAR2 spot 1.280 150 0 in zone at layer 0

So now if CHAR1 walks, they’ll be in front of CHAR 2.

The lower number is always at the bottom.

is it supposed to be all together like this?

Noo… si in order to get someone to enter with a certain spot direction you have to spot them offscreen first:

@RANDO1 spot S X Y in zone # at layer #

Then walk him into the screen:

@RANDO1 walks to spot S X Y in zone #

Ohh, I did it! Thank you so much! :smiley:

Now I just need 15 more characters to do the same thing… wish me luck!

Loll you got this, babe!

having this same kind of problems with the back ground characters walking the back or sitting in the back