How to keep readers hooked when they read a story?

It’s so hard for me when i’m writing a story to come up with ideas of keeping the story good. Hopefully that makes sense. Anyone able to give me good tips? :grin:

7 Likes

One I keep seeing is adding cliffhangers to keep the readers on the edge of their seats!

also welcome to the forms!

3 Likes

Thank you! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Welcome love

2 Likes

I try to include at least one largely impactful or funny scene (depends on the genre) per chapter, that way the reader has something to keep them engaged and wanting more. Cliffhangers are good, but it’s not necessary to include one every chapter.

6 Likes

I totally agree with you! Having a story that has funny moments will have the reader laughing and keeps them wondering if more funny stuff will happen!

4 Likes

Thank you! :purple_heart:

1 Like

write a good story with good charaters.

dont have all qustions answared, if a chapter end and the reader have nothing more they want to know, then they dont really have a reason to keep reading

6 Likes

I always use a cliffhanger haha.

But other than that, I’d say make sure the characters are loveable, so it’s easy to connect with them. :smiley:

4 Likes

Lovable characters, cliffhangers and strong directing!

4 Likes

they arent good to use in evry chapter. because I often see people make some really stupid once.

yeah often is great but dont try to add one just because you need one

4 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner categories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Try to have subplots, I don’t like when secondary character’s don’t have anything going on. I love to read about the drama of the friends, family members, etc.

3 Likes

Keep the readers in suspense and also make them laugh a little using the characters expressions to said words

Exactly luv

So true

I think that some mysterious backstory that’s told throughout your plot is helping to keep readers engaged, cause they will remember that there are some secrets that they still don’t know

1 Like

Don’t include gem choices unless it’s a support the author or bonus scene. Gem choices that affect the story are major turn-offs for me unless there’s a valid reason (ie, unlocking a bonus scene because you don’t have enough character points to unlock for free)*.

*I would prefer if we didn’t get access at all if we didn’t have enough points; it would give us more incentive to replay the story! Also, me no likey gem choices.

2 Likes

I would say another aspect that keeps readers engaged is to daily post episodes (preferably 2-3). I know it can be stressful but trust me, this is definitely a turn-on when I see authors working hard on their stories. Pro-tip: I advice you to finish your whole story first and then release episodes regularly (have a schedule). This way you will keep your readers engaged without feeling pressured.

2 Likes