How to keep writing when you continuously doubt your ideas?

Hi everyone,

so I thought I’d start this thread to hopefully get some tips from authors who have finished a story before or published quite a lot of chapters already.

I have published two stories, one with 3 chapters and one with 5 chapters, both ongoing. And I always seem to have trouble with keeping up the flow of writing. It’s not that I have writer’s block, I’ve actually planned out both stories quite thoroughly. The issue is more that with every new chapter I start - even though I’m mostly quite happy with the ones I already finished - I keep doubting myself and the ideas I have all over again. I’m a perfectionist, so I always have this fear in the back of my mind that I will blow it or that my upcoming chapters will be bad. And it keeps blocking me from continuing, so I procrastinate instead of actually moving forward with my stories.

I’ve found that I’m quite good with time pressure, i.e. taking part in a contest with a fixed deadline kept me pretty productive. But setting a deadline for myself just isn’t the same, because it just isn’t an actual deadline :sweat_smile:

I just don’t know what to do anymore…

Does anyone have any tips maybe? Any similar experiences you can share?
I would be really grateful :heart:

4 Likes

I’m an author with one story of 11 chapters (chapter 12 is done, lol).
I totally understand what you mean. I have sometimes the same feeling and then I got questions as is it too random or dramatic? Is it getting boring or too repetitive?

But as I always say to myself, I like how it is going. I like my ideas. I have people that enjoy my story and support me.
I’m sure you have also some fans and/or supporters and you do it for entertainment! Don’t doubt yourself too much. Not everything has to be perfect.

Good luck with your story :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you @LiliStar ! You’re right, maybe I’m just taking it too seriously and should focus more on the fun side of it. It’s just hard to get rid of this negative, self-citical way of thinking :sweat_smile: But to hear you also got there, I hope I can get there too, eventually :blush:

1 Like

Yes, I completely agree! After the feature and now with the contest… it just feels more like I’m writing for the readers instead of for myself. And those very few people who ask when the next chapter will come out… it just adds that extra little pressure on top :see_no_evil:

Thank you, Merry, that’s so sweet, I feel the same about your stories :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Which is why I’m actually surprised that you’re dealing with the same difficulties as me, I never would have guessed :sweat_smile: But you seem to have managed that pretty good so far, Remembering Me has so many episodes already! How did you do that? :scream:

1 Like

I relate to that so much. I’m pretty much in the same situation, I’ve planned my stories completely and almost coded both of them but then I start procrastinating and end up starting a whole new story. I haven’t actually published any stories because of this.
I straight up have a story almost ready to be published but I just can’t get myself to actually publish it because I keep thinking that It’s not yet perfect and I could still make it better.

I think a time pressure lowkey works for me too because my best essays for school usually happen like an hour before the deadline. :expressionless:

Well said. I’ll try to stop procrastinating and just trust in my story. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s amazing!! If you already coded the whole story or even two, you should absolutely publish them! You already have a big advantage there as most authors only have the first 3 episodes coded when they publish a story (like me too :joy:). Maybe wait and see if there will be a contest soon with a theme that fits your stories, because they always receive a lot of attention! But you should definitely go for it :blush:

I absolutely know what that feels like! I remember being SO nervous and staring at the publish button for an eternity before I was able to press it :sweat_smile: But you can do it! :fist:t2:

1 Like

Oh yeah, so many readers seem to think that it only takes a week to make an episode… well yes maybe if it’s your full time job but otherwise… :sweat_smile:

October?? :scream: Wow it sure doesn’t feel like it, I still remember the last episode so vividly! But I’m sure there’s a reason for it, maybe you didn’t feel motivated and inspired. So the same thing you told me also goes for you: It’s okay, give yourself time :hugs: Maybe sometimes we just need someone to tell us that we don’t have to beat ourselves up over it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.