đź“› HOW TO: let reader choose whether they want to keep the default name or enter a new name - and how to have the original name be displayed in small caps

I believe that me, @Elaina2 and @Adrija have just found a new possibility of how to write inputs so the reader doesn’t have to type in the name if he likes the character’s original name (at last we haven’t found it anywhere)

And what is important this makes the original name appear in dialogues in small caps even if the reader hasn’t done the input.

So the steps are easy:

1) Make sure your display name is your preferred character name - in our example, it will be Helena

2) use big letters - caps in your input (HELENA)

input What’s your name? | What’s your name? | Done (HELENA)

3) But in dialogues use the name in small letters in square brackets: [Helena]

• this is the big change :smiley: We were told that we must write the input in all caps also in the square brackets to make it work, right? But in this case, the one who hasn’t named their character will see it in dialogue as all caps:

Hi my name is HELENA

• But if you write it in small caps in the brackets it will appear so also in the dialogue and surprise surprise - the input will still work!

HELENA
Hi my name is [Helena]

##################################################################
And here is the template for how to let the reader decide if he wants to change the character name or keep the one you give to him.
So you will not need to force the reader to type in the original character’s name in case he doesn’t want to write his name.

NARR
This is Helena.
Would you like to change her name?

choice
"Yes." {
goto choose_name
} “No, Helena is fine.” {
goto continue_story
}

label choose_name

input Input_name | Type your name. | Done (HELENA)

NARR
Is [Helena] correct?

choice
"Yes!" {
goto continue_story
} “No, I messed up.” {
goto choose_name
}
#####################################
label continue_story

@HELENA stands screen center
HELENA
Hello, my name is [Helena]!
######################################################

Please let us know in this thread if you will find any malfunction but so far from our testing, it worked just fine.

16 Likes

WhaaaaaaaaaAAat?!
I thought I would just have to tell the reader their default name or use gains. This is amazing!
@M_H_C_Episode a new tutorial to add to your guide :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yep we tested it and it works.

1 Like

Bookmarking

Ikr! We were shocked too!

1 Like

that’s so cool!! good to know

If any of you see that the code is not working in any particular case please message here. Sometimes you may need to refresh your browser or relaunch the app. (This happened in my case at first).

And I’m tagging a few people I know who might find this useful, message me if you want your tag to be removed:

Tags

@Nazee_writes @Zensthetic @HazelBourne @Gowri.Writes

3 Likes

The longest name I’ve seen for a thread :rofl: :joy: :sunglasses:

One thing I want to add for others, if they didn’t already know,

input Input_name | Type your name. | Done (HELENA)

The spot "Type your name. ", is the text that will show up at the top of the box when they have to type their name in.

So it can be What’s your first name? Who are you? Fill in the blank. Etc… instead of “Type your name.” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

yeah true in every tutorial or template so far I have just seen repeteating the sentence 2 times without explanation why.

I believe that the first one is “name of the imput” - so something like name of a choice

While the other as you write it the text that will reader actualy see.

2 Likes

The previous title was longer. :joy:

1 Like

I am open to any suggestion to make it shorter yet understandable. :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Change this to input_name

lol changed

1 Like

This is actually insane :star_struck::white_heart:! Thank you for tagging me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::relaxed:! Now, lemme go update my script haha :joy::llama:!

1 Like

Hey…This is going to help so much… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::star_struck::star_struck:

Yeah same, I noticed in Dara’s guide she says to repeat it but from my understanding of programming, input is basically like you said, it’s like creating a command/naming one while the other part is the output so what the receivers end will see in coordination with the input. But because I’m not sure if their program already has set things in, such as say they already have programmed for input Firstname then I didn’t want to say they could also change that in case it would cause a conflict. lol although I already did tell someone on a different thread a long time ago they could put whatever to name it which for the most part they likely can as long as it’s not maybe something common that could already have something in the program itself like input Love interests name | What’s their name? | Submit (LOVEINTEREST1). But maybe Dara has it that way so that it can look more organized and for a less complicated explanation of how to do typed in choices lol it looks better structured and easier to remember too if you just have coders repeat it.

Lmao I saw it right before she changed it lol

Lol honestly I can’t think of a better name, I think you summarized it to the point as much as it could be while keeping it understandable lol

Edit:
HOW TO: let the reader keep the default name or enter a new name & how to display original name lowercased.

HOW TO: give readers a choice to keep the default name or enter a new one & how to display original name lowercased.

I tried and it’s still long :woman_shrugging:t3: lol

Yes. The main thing is that it works even without writing the input in all caps within the dialogue like [ELENA]. Basically the script ignores the [#] in the name if it can’t find the variable. Like I started using [NAME] in my script and thought of adding the user input later on and the script made it appear in dialogues simply as NAME.

But that it works even when there’s an input (I mean when we write [Elena] ) is what I can’t explain… Do you know why it’s working?

1 Like

I’m Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re asking about with why it’s working :pensive: if you’re meaning why does it work if [Elena] is written in dialogue, I think it’s probably within their programming where once you create that value for the name (ELENA),in dialogues or referring to that value (ELENA) in general, it can be programmed to accept lower or uppercase for that value therefore its not case sensitive to how the input is written in the coding for the dialogue so it copies it. If that’s the correct word I’m looking for but basically meaning if I wrote [EleNa], it’ll likely copy the way I wrote it, if it isn’t programmed to be case sensitive to not accept certain capitalized or lowercased letters in certain areas and/or if it isn’t programmed that it can only come out one way such as all caps or the first letter capitalized only, etc… then it would copy how we write the value when referring to the value. Lol I don’t even know if I made any sense, I’m having an off day today. lol

1 Like