HOW TO: Let the reader customize their pronoun set

As someone who uses a mixed set of pronouns I would love to see more stories offer different options for pronouns. This is a script template that allows the reader to fully customize their pronoun set to their needs. This script operates the same way that a ‘let the reader choose their own name’ script would work. It is based on remembering choices and brackets like [pronoun] will need to be used throughout your story.

Every time you refer to your character be sure to use brackets for their pronouns for example every time you would say she for your character use [THEM] and your reader will see their chosen pronoun.

There are three options to help you with using pronoun brackets in your story all work and allow the reader to choose their pronouns but this is purely for it to be smoother for you. If you like to refer to your character with they/them pronouns use this link if you like to refer to your character with he/him pronouns use this link and lastly if you like to refer to your character with she/her pronouns use this link.

If you are using the they/them script please use [THEY] [THEM] and [THEIR’S] when using that character’s pronouns in your story.
If you are using the he/him script please use [HE] [HIM] and [HIS] when using that character’s pronouns in your story.
If you are using the she/her script please use [SHE] [HER] and [HER’S] when using that character’s pronouns in your story.

If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask!

6 Likes

How would mixing them work? for ex: He/She?
EDIT:
I have an idea, instead of making 3 dialogues for each set, and this will also be helpful in mixed sets you could just replace the (THEM) or wtv set with
(PRONOUN1) for they
(PRONOUN2) for him
(PRONOUN3) for hers

this way it includes neopronouns as well!!

2 Likes

The three choices aren’t necessarily for different sets it in short creates a custom set. The three scripts are just for authors to use them more comfortably but all sets allow the reader to choose their own pronouns. I use the they/them/their’s set in mine because its the set that is the easier for me to remember when using the brackets. If I used things like ‘pronoun 1 2 and 3’ it just may be a bit confusing for author’s to use. When I refer to my character I only use [THEY], [THEM], and [THEIR’S] but the reader could be seeing she/her/her’s if that’s the set they chose or even a mixed set of they/him/her’s if that’s what they chose. I think we are talking about the same idea but if I’m a little lost please let me know. But how mixed sets work is the reader chooses three different pronouns that create a set. They could choose for example they for the first, him for the second, and her’s for the third and that is the specific set they will see when they read the story. The only way I could think to add neopronouns would be to add an option to type in your preferred set which would still be three questions. If we have different ideas and I’m confused please let me know or if you have ideas regarding neopronouns I would love to try them out.

2 Likes

Oh yea you’re right, we’re on the same page dw! and ofc you do whatever coding is easier for u :pray:
and it’d work with everyone.
Thank you btw for this idea. It’s really great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.