How to let the readers max out their points?

Hi!
So I’ve been trying to use the point system in my new story for a while and I’ve seen authors using choices where we readers can make a choice if we want to max our points. I would really appreciate if anyone could explain how you can let your readers make choices like that? Do you use gems or something?

I’m sorry if it’s hard to understand what I just asked. English is not my first language.

I’ve never used the point system, but I believe the example below is what you’re asking- let’s say you have points for ROMANCE and FRIENDSHIP and at this part of the story there’s 5 points the reader could’ve gained for each so far but they only got 2 of each-

NARRATOR
Would you like to maximise your points?
choice
“Yes”{
NARRATOR
You now have 5/5 Romance points and 5/5 Friendship points
@ROMANCE =5
@FRIENDSHIP =5
}
“No”{
NARRATOR
Okay!
}

2 Likes

OMG thank you so much!!! I so appreciate this. This really helped me a lot so thank you, thank you :relaxed::heart:
I just have one last question if that’s okay.
When we have let the readers maximized their points, do we have to put if/elif/else from now on in every episode or is that not necessary?

2 Likes

I’ve never used the point system either, but I don’t think so; the point total is whatever it is (ie. Whether they earned all 5 points, or chose to maximize their points, either way, the total is 5).

The only reason you’d need to refer back to the maximize-points choice is if you wanted to differentiate those who actually earned the points from those who maximized them (eg. “You have 5 points, but since you didn’t really earn them, you don’t get to watch this scene.”) I don’t know why you’d need that, though.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome! And it depends if the points effect the story line. Some readers won’t maximise their points (I am one of these readers :wink:) and if points are accumulated in each chapter, not all the readers will have the same score so I would use the if/else if you plan on having branching and/or different outcomes for different point totals :blush:

2 Likes

This really helped, thank you!! I really appreciate this so much :relaxed::heart:

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thank you so much for your help. I was really struggling. Thank you so much. :relaxed:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.