How to make a cliché topic interesting? ~DISCUSSION

OKAY SO…
I’ve noticed that Episode has some “typical” stories topics, which most of us know. Here’s the general list: (they’re basically romantic themes)

• Bad bois
  • Gang bois
  • Millionaire bois
  • Unfaithful bois
  • College bois
  • Pregnant by one of these bois
  • Love triangles between bad bois and good bois

You get the idea. And I bet almost all of you have read an Episode story based around one of these themes.

To be clear, if you have a story that contains any of these, it’s not necessarily cliché unless it is the actual main idea.

But as many of you writers have noticed, these topics are hard to avoid writing about. I’ve experienced this.

“oooooh yes! this is such a good story idea!”

-a few mins later…
download
"and I oop-"
You realize that your story is no different than 99% of the stories on the platform.

OKAY HERE’S WHERE MY OPINION BEGINS.
share your thoughts below on what makes you read stories with clichés, and how to make it unique for the reader!
… because most of us read them, lol.

Three examples of well-written stories with clichés (imo):

• The Doberman (by Meesza)
  • Wicked Sins (by Regina)
  • Intoxicate Me (by Melia A.)

I’ll explain why I like these and other stories later on…

So what if you want to write about a sexy af millionaire?
I’ve noticed that stories with these clichés only stand out if they’ve got a creative element…
…that :star2: wow :star2: factor

And so, how do you find that for your story?
The important thing to realize is that the story cannot just surround this topic.
(e.x, your story can’t just be how “bad” your bad boy is, or how “rich” your millionaire sex bomb boy is, or how much your character is struggling with deciding between “bad and sexy” and “good and cute”)
ya feel me?

Also, try to avoid the words “bad boy” or “mafia boss hottie” and such in your title or description. It just makes a lot of readers turn away, because many who don’t like reading clichés will be turned off, in a sense.
(I am aware that Intoxicate Me is an exception, but it checks off every other box lol)

The Doberman does this well. You wonder, “who is The Doberman?” and you check the description. It’s a single sentence, a little vague, but it makes you curious.

See, it’s all about moderation. A story that just slaps you in the face with sexytime scenes and flirting and such isn’t creative. We’ve seen that, hun.
You want to reel your reader in with a secondary plot.

SPOILERS AHEAD (only if you’ve read the story, please! I don’t want to spoil them for you!)

Secondary plots for (don't worry they're blurred too):

The Doberman: Melanie’s experience becoming an accountant.
Wicked Sins: Your stepmom sells you/despises you and attempts to sabotage you.
Intoxicate Me: The problems at Chantelle’s home between her mom, dad, and uncle.

If you couldn’t see any of them, I’m basically explaining that your MC should be going through more than one thing (not necessarily a struggle, just another situation) and then tie the two plots together with some sort of connection.

Ok, those are my tips/opinions! Comment down below if you have anything you feel is important for a good story that may involve a cliché :)))

-emms :heart:

4 Likes

I agree about The Doberman. It has endless cliché plots, but Meeza does a great job with making the story interesting. A great writer :ok_hand:t4:

4 Likes

I agree! She makes every episode fascinating and brand new, but not rushed. I love her writing :grin:

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this isn’t about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.