HOW TO: Move Characters / Overlays to the Layers

I have the character on layer 6. Then just to be sure she will keep the layer I again put the layer behind the follow command:

@follow KATE to screen right in zone 1 AND KATE does it while walk_neutral_loop AND KATE moves to layer 6

while she walks she keeps on layer 6… but when she is done the walking and is in zone 1 screen right on the spot she moves to layer 2…
So how should I write this fallow comand to avoid the “reset layers issue”?

1 Like

Ah OK. :slight_smile:

If you look at the top of my thread, you’ll see a bar scene and example script for default and spot walking.
No idea why sometimes it works when you move character on the same line like you did and sometimes it doesn’t. Use spot directing to be sure :slight_smile:

Thanks, I think I understand it now…even it still looks stupid to me that the default spot commands do reset layers… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have a question. I want to fade a character in my story because he’s supposed to be a ghost. How could I do that??

How do you put charcters behind the overlay then another overlay in front of it.
@Apes

Just layer them like characters. So for example overlay at the back is at layer 2 the one in front move it to layer 3

but what layer for thecharacter

It depends where you want character to stand. Can you see the first picture in my thread? That’s how layers work. :smile:

I tried so many times to get the bar scene with bar overlay right and I finally found this. Thank you a lot:)
Check out my story:
http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5773522953895936

Hey just wondering, how do I get an overlay to move with a character when using the follow command?

Use spot directing instead of follow

&overlay NAME shifts to X Y in S
@CHARACTER walks to spot % X Y in S

S - seconds

so it will move at the same time

Thanks for the help :smiley:

Okay so, it’s probably obvious what I’m doing wrong but this is my current script as I’m trying to pan across 3 panels, whilst having my character walk whilst the suitcase is following her.

Okay I’ve changed the &pan to @pan but it still ain’t quite right…

delete all these commands and just do this:

&overlay NAME shifts to X Y in zone 3 in S AND pan to zone 3 in S
@CHARACTER walks to spot % X Y in zone 3 in S

I tried that and neither the overlay nor the character were on the screen, in fact nothing happened apart from the camera staying in zone 1…

You need to place them in the scene first (either in zone 1 or offscreen in zone 1)

You’re amazing thanks for all the help, haha new to overlays so still got some things to figure out!

1 Like

bumpin

1 Like